2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2012 7:11 AM by zaloorb

NDIS driver issues and "insufficient resources"

Hi,

I have been having a extremely difficult time with HIPS as of late.  Whenever I boot my computer, I get the "finding new driver" window come up and the process fails with "unknown device."  I can then go into device manager and sure enough I see multiple unknown devices in the Network Adapter section.  A quick perusal of each shows that that they seem to be related to McAfee.  (Note that there is no miniport driver listed and I believe that these are failed miniport device drivers.)  My first strategy to solve this was uninstall McAfee (I have total protection on this computer) and reinstall it which I did and the problem persisted. 

I recently read online that using the "update driver" feature in Windows 7 might help and so I tried that.  It went out and find the "McAfee NDIS Intermediate Filter Miniport" driver which is what I want, but it fails too with the error of "Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested operation."  I am now at a loss.  My computer has ample disk space and computing cycles and so I should have no resources issues.  I read somewhere that at one point this could have been attributed with a conflict with Virusscan, but I have no idea. 

One final note is that if I load the McAfee HIPs tray icon it says "HOST IPS is enabled, Network IPS is disabled."  Also, the Activity Log in HIPs says "The McAfee Fire Driver is not installed."

Here are the basics on my computer:

HP ElilteBoook 8440P laptop

Windows 7 x64

4GB of RAM

158 GB of free disk space

McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise (8.7.0i)

HIPS v7.0.0 (This is a corporate thing I am not sure if I can get a newer version if there is one.)

Thank you in advanced for any suggestions on next steps.

Update: My corporate IT department is suggesting that I need to re-image my system to solve this issue!  Is there really no other solution?

JL

Message was edited by: jl_678 on 8/22/12 8:12:35 AM CDT

Message was edited by: jl_678 on 8/22/12 9:17:10 AM CDT
        • 1. Re: NDIS driver issues and "insufficient resources"

Bump.  Is there really no one who knows this?  Thank you.

• 2. Re: NDIS driver issues and "insufficient resources"

jl_678,

It appears that you exceed the HIPS hardware requirements, so that should not be the issue. There are certainly newer versions that your corporate IT staff should be able to provide, if they have a valid license. You might want to point them to the installation log located in the Windows directory named McAfeeHip7_Install.log as I gather the root cause could be determined by reviewing this file. Your administrators should be able to review this log (or open a case with McAfee for support) and correct this problem.

Also, when you say that you removed and reinstalled HIPS, you did not mention how that was performed. What software installation package did you use? This certainly does matter as you will need to obtain that latest package from your IT staff to assure proper installation can be performed.

Hope this points you in the right direction.