4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2009 8:37 AM by wgs77

VSE 8.7 - Question about registry setting to turn on quarantining of cookies.

Hi,

I have a stand alone installation of VSE 8.7 Patch 2. I would like to turn on quarantining of cookies. I've done some googling on this subject, and Mcafee states in its readme files for VSE 8.7 that turning on this feature requires a registry edit. I haven't been able to find the specific registry edit this is needed. If anyone could provide the registry key that would need manual updating, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
        • 1. RE: VSE 8.7 - Question about registry setting to turn on quarantining of cookies.
          jmcleish
          Isn't the cookies scanning only done if you have the Anti-Spyware module installed?
          • 2. RE: VSE 8.7 - Question about registry setting to turn on quarantining of cookies.
            Hi,

Thanks jmcleish for your response.

Yes, I have Mcafee VSE 8.7 + Anti-Spyware Module 8.7 installed on a stand alone PC.

Mcafee states in its readme for VSE 8.7 that quarantining of cookies is turned off by default,
            but that it can be turned on via a registry edit.

I would like to turn on quarantining of cookies, but I don't know what registry edit will enable it. If anyone knows the answer, please let me know.

Thank you,

Bill
            • 3. RE: VSE 8.7 - Question about registry setting to turn on quarantining of cookies.
              jmcleish
              I've had a look at the document where it says:

Quarantining of cookie detections has been disabled by default. You must now modify a registry
              key to enable quarantining of cookies.

I think what that means is that the detection of cookies still takes place, but the detections don't get sent to the quarantine folder but get deleted instead.

I found this document with regards to v8.5i, so the reg key may be the same.
              Please remember to backup the registry key you are modifying before changing anything!!

Corporate KnowledgeBase
              How to disable cookie backups in VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i with AntiSpyware Enterprise 8.5.

Corporate KnowledgeBase ID: KB66907
              Published: September 11, 2009

Environment
              All supported operating systems. For details, see KB51109

Summary
              VirusScan Enterprise (VSE) 8.5i with the AntiSpyware Module (ASEM) 8.5i can now be set to no longer places cookie detections in the Quarantine folder. They are permanently deleted as part of the Clean action instead .

Both VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i Patch 8 and AntiSpyware Enterprise 8.5i are required to use this feature.

CAUTION: This article contains information about opening or modifying the registry.
              The following information is intended for System Administrators. Registry modifications are irreversible and could cause system failure if done incorrectly.
              Before proceeding, McAfee strongly recommends backing up your registry and understanding the restore process. For more information, see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986
              Do not run a .REG file that is not confirmed to be a genuine registry import file.

Step 1 - Disable Access Protection

Click Start, Programs, McAfee, VirusScan Console.
              Right-click Access Protection and select Disable.

Step 2 - Configure VSE registry settings to allow cookies not to be quarantined

Click Start, Run, type regedit and click OK.
              Navigate to the following registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\VSCore]

Right-click VSCore and select New, DWORD Value.
              Rename New Value #1 to DisableCookieBackups and press ENTER.
              Double-click DisableCookieBackups and set the Value Data field to Hexadecimal 1.
              where 0 = Off, 1 = On.
              Close the registry editor.

Step 3 - Restart the McShield service

Click Start, Run, type services.msc and click OK.
              Locate and right-click the McAfee McShield service and select Restart.
              Alternatively select Stop and Start separately.
              The changes now take effect.

Step 4 - Enable Access Protection.

Click Start, Programs, McAfee, VirusScan Console.
              Right-click Access Protection and select Enable.
              Close the VirusScan console.
              Related Information
              KB60415 - VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i Patch 8 Release Notes

HTH
              Jane
              • 4. Thank You
                Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.