4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2012 9:51 AM by chicagoguy

DLP Network Monitor and DLP Network Prevent and MEG DLP integration features

Hello,

I am looking for some community guidance on the capabilities of integrating MEG appliance and utilizing DLP features in conjunction with the DLP Prevent Appliance / SW.

My experience is with a competitors product and I am not getting answers from the McAfee team.

I am trying to decide if it is worth integrating MEG and DLP prevent together or not worth the effort. Please note we are also moving from on-premise exchange to 0365.

Anyone implemented this scenario?

I cannot find any definitive documentation on if the MEG appliance inspects IM traffic as well.

Any links or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Chicagoguy

• 1. Re: DLP Network Monitor and DLP Network Prevent and MEG DLP integration features
          Regis

I'm in the midst of NDLP + MWG + MEG + HDLP saga.          I'm also ostensibly local to you if your monicker is accurate.

If you want to inspect IM traffic, I don't think MEG is what you want, though I could be wrong.   While I've heard  MEG 7 did grow out of the web and email security appliance, I've never done anything with the "web" portion of my new MEG 7 boxes.  I've only played in the email config piece.

At least as far as I know, you'll want an SSL middling  web gateway product  (McAfee web gateway, Bluecoat w/ the SSL inspection license, Websense) that proxies IM, and can crap it out via ICAP to an NDLP Prevent appliance.     NDLP Prevent will take a ICAP feed, analyze it and respond back to the ICAP request with a go/no go, and the  web proxy can  selectively block it or pass it. 

• 2. Re: DLP Network Monitor and DLP Network Prevent and MEG DLP integration features

Regis,

After further reading and a discussion with McAfee team finally. You are correct. For all IM / WEB you do need an ICAP compliant proxy to work with DLP Prevent to work. I am going to hopefully be able to test squid for this. We are attempting to reduce additional costs.

I want to understand the benefits of MEG however as well. Someone previously bought 2 appliances but we have an interesting messaging infrastructure to deal with as well.. hybrid cloud / on-premise.

It seems that MEG is an extraneous hop for just DLP needs only, since we have other scanning and MTA solution in place.

I an in the Chicago land

Thanks for input.

Cheers!

Tom

• 3. Re: DLP Network Monitor and DLP Network Prevent and MEG DLP integration features
              Regis

Can your existing scanning MTA be configured to do things like selectively block, forward, or quarantine messages based on the values of, say,

X-RCIS-ACTION: headers  (ALLOW, BLOCK, BOUNCE, ENCRYPT)?  

If so, no you don't need MEG to do constructive email DLP with NDLP Prevent.   NDLP Prevent can work with a variety of commercial email gateways so long as they are policy configurable to do things based on a header that NDLP Prevent will add after analyzing an email message.