1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2012 3:13 PM by Peter M

Removal of JS/Blacole-Redirect.c ??????

I have the latest update of the McAfee antivirus (August 14, 2012).  I see that the program detects and quarantines the JS/Blacole-Redirect.c (trojan) but does not remove the trojan. According to the McAfee website, the McAfee antivirus is supposed to remove the trojan. How do I get McAfee to remove the trojan? At this point, I have 340 detections and the system is still counting. I gather that the McAfee popup advising me of detection will continue until I remove the trojan manually. How do I rid my PC of this trojan?

• 1. Re: Removal of JS/Blacole-Redirect.c ??????
          Peter M

If it's in quarantine then it's removed from harm's way.   You should be able to delete it from the quarantine folder.

Open SecurityCenter by double-clicking the taskbar icon

Click Navigation at top right

Scroll down to Quarantined and Trusted Items

It should be in one of those sections from where it can be deleted.

• 2. Re: Removal of JS/Blacole-Redirect.c ??????

Peter (Ex_Brit),

Thank you for your suggestion. I deleted all of the entries [approximately 400, almost of which were related to the JS/Blacole-Redirect.c (trojan)] under the quarantine tab but the McAfee detection popup is still appearing at the rate of one every two minutes. I see that the same file [website-unavailable_com(1).txt] is being detected each time and is being placed under quarantine. Isn't McAfee supposed to remove trojans? Is there some way to remove this trojan? I went to the website (www.cleanpcguide.com/download/) and discovered that there are three tools to be manually applied in sequence. However, I am reluctant to invoke another set of tools from an unknown site. Should I simply try to delete the file called website-unavailable_com(1).txt?

I welcome your thoughts.

David

• 3. Re: Removal of JS/Blacole-Redirect.c ??????

I am new to the community and hit the wrong reply button. I meant for my reply to go to the following person!

Peter (Ex_Brit),

Thank you for your suggestion. I deleted all of the entries [approximately 400, almost of which were related to the JS/Blacole-Redirect.c (trojan)] under the quarantine tab but the McAfee detection popup is still appearing at the rate of one every two minutes. I see that the same file [website-unavailable_com(1).txt] is being detected each time and is being placed under quarantine. Isn't McAfee supposed to remove trojans? Is there some way to remove this trojan? I went to the website (www.cleanpcguide.com/download/) and discovered that there are three tools to be manually applied in sequence. However, I am reluctant to invoke another set of tools from an unknown site. Should I simply try to delete the file called website-unavailable_com(1).txt?

I welcome your thoughts.

David

• 4. Re: Removal of JS/Blacole-Redirect.c ??????
                Peter M

Try temporarily disabling System Restore as it could be that they are being detected in restore points, then boot into Safe Mode by tapping F8 repeatedly while booting up and right-click the hard drive in 'Computer' (My Computer in XP) and select scan.  All you'll see is activity in the taskbar until it's finished.

Next step if it were me would be to download Stinger and try that, then Malwarebytes Free and try that, both linked in the last clickable link in my signature below.

• 5. Re: Removal of JS/Blacole-Redirect.c ??????

Thank you. I shall follow your suggestions and let you know my results.

• 6. Re: Removal of JS/Blacole-Redirect.c ??????
                    Peter M

I get all replies once subscribed to the thread by the way.

• 7. Re: Removal of JS/Blacole-Redirect.c ??????

Ex_Brit,

I followed your advice: I disabled System Restore, booted into Safe Mode, right-clicked on the hard drive in My Computer, and ran a scan.  I found no (zero) problems or detections. However, after I rebooted, I saw that McAfee started to return to its normal scanning and the McAfee detection popups, which claimed "Trojan Quarantined" and named "website-unavailable_com[1].txt" as the offending file, started to appear at the rate of one per minute. I subsequently disabled System Restore and downloaded and ran Stinger, which found no problems. I then downloaded and ran Malwarebytes Free and found three problems, all related to my Registry. After I deleted/repaired these problems, rebooted, and enabled System Restore, I see that McAfee has resumed and it is still producing its "Trojan Quarantined" popups at the rate of one per minute. I have sent a couple of examples from the quarantined area to McAfee, but I doubt that  I shall hear anything from McAfee.

Thus, I welcome your thoughts and suggestions about possible next steps. I wonder whether you think that my internet provider (Comcast) is sending this trojan (JS/Blacole-Redirect.c) to me.

Let me know. Thank you. DBNolle

• 8. Re: Removal of JS/Blacole-Redirect.c ??????
                        Peter M

This is a puzzler because it should have been eliminated as per http://home.mcafee.com/virusinfo/virusprofile.aspx?key=1099388

I can only assume that something is not up to date on your machine.  Are you totally up to date with all updates, including IE even if you don't use it as a browser?

Either that or you browser home page has some bad code on it or perhaps you have something plugged into the machine that is reloading whatever this is constantly?

I suggest you run Hijackthis and post its log on one of the forums listed in the last link in my signature, see further down, near the end for details and the download.

• 9. Re: Removal of JS/Blacole-Redirect.c ??????
                          Peter M

Moved to Malware Discussions > Home User Assistance for more attention.

1 2 Previous Next