7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2012 6:09 PM by Peter M

Auto Scan for Threats

Is there a feature or ability with Virus Scan to automatically run the scan for threats option when a CD/DVD or USB is inserted into a host?

• 1. Re: Auto Scan for Threats
          Peter M

Real-time scanning scans files if they are uploaded/downloaded to the hard drive but you can specifically tell VirusScan to scan removable drives (USB sticks, USB HDD's etc.)

Open SecurityCenter

Click Virus and Spyware Protection

Click real Time Scanning

Click Settings and scroll down to the last section "When I plug in a drive, ask me to scan it"

Check that and click Apply.

• 2. Re: Auto Scan for Threats

How is this accomplished on a Windows domain server? I have a small domain (>5 hosts) that I need to configure these settings for.

Message was edited by: kcox on 8/14/12 9:37:59 AM CDT
            • 3. Re: Auto Scan for Threats
              Peter M

You're using the wrong product for a server environment.   The home products aren't compatible but the Enterprise ones are, however then you are into multiple/bulk licenses.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/08/12 11:23:32 EDT AM
              • 4. Re: Auto Scan for Threats

I believe I am using the Enterprise version, and possibly just posted this in the wrong section? Does the enterprise version have a similar setting?

• 5. Re: Auto Scan for Threats
                  Peter M

kcox wrote:

I believe I am using the Enterprise version, and possibly just posted this in the wrong section? Does the enterprise version have a similar setting?

I have no idea.   Moved this to that section and someone will hopefully answer you shortly.

• 6. Re: Auto Scan for Threats
                    wwarren

It's a reasonably common sought product enhancement request (PER).

It _may_ be getting included in a future release, but there are some deterents from wanting to implement a feature like this. You don't need to respond to these, it's just a couple thoughts to be mindful of -

- should access to the content be denied until the scan completes?

This could be extremely annoying, waiting for data to be scanned and you want it "now"

- should we only scan the data being accessed?

If so, we don't need to do anything, because that's how the product behaves today - we just need to educate people that this is what happens.

- as storage devices grow in size, more data is able to be stored, there's potential performance concern/overhead of attaching a device and a scan occurring; and somewhat circular concern with the first point.

You can still submit the PER for review though.

https://mcafee.acceptondemand.com/

• 7. Re: Auto Scan for Threats
                      Peter M

There;s also the suggestion box here:  https://community.mcafee.com/community/business/ideas