8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 11, 2012 9:07 PM by Ex_Brit RSS

Mcafee wont turn on!

I have Windows Vista and Mcafee Virus Program.  This program will not turn on and in the icon tray  the Mcafee icon shows a white exclamation point in red square.  Not sure what to do but i have no  virus protection and i am now working in safe mode with networking.  Any suggestions on how to fix this?  Thanks...

• 1. Re: Mcafee wont turn on!

Is this Vista SP2 I trust?  Do you. or did you have any other antivirus installed before and have you had any popups or other indication that malware may be present?

Where did you install the software from - a CD or online?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/08/12 10:39:36 EDT AM
          • 2. Re: Mcafee wont turn on!

thanks for replying!  I am not sure if its SP2 --it is home editiion from a few years ago and i have installed all the updates, etc.   No popups stating malware is present but I have had Norton in the past as well as AVG and malware bytes currently and that is working and I did a scan came out good.   Also, suddenly  windows security program turned off and wont go back on.  I am running in (hopefully!!) safe mode.  thanks again! 

• 3. Re: Mcafee wont turn on!

Oh I forgot...it was installed on the Tampa Bay road runner website as it is a  package with their internet service.  :-) 

• 4. Re: Mcafee wont turn on!

Hmm, I'll have to think about this and maybe Technical Support will be your best bet if all else fails.  It's a free phone call or you can use online chat and they're linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

You can tell if it's SP2 by right-clicking 'Computer' on your dektop or in your Start Menu and selecting Properties.

First off I assume you used Norton and AVG uninstall tool after they were on?

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?version=1& product=home&lg=english&ct=united_states&docid=kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile _en_us&pvid=f-home

Is Malwarebytes the FREE version?    If not try turning off its real-time protection for the time being.   

By the way should this come to an uninstall, cleanup and reinstall situation, you'll have to temporaqrily uninstall Malwarebytes anyway as it interferes with McAfee's installer.

As far as Windows Security Center is concerned McAfee should be controlling that, however you should be able to access it.

Try doing the following:

Go to Start and type in the search box immediately above the start button 'services' minus the ''.

It should appear in the list above, click it and OK and UAC prompts.

Go down the services list and make sure that Windows Firewall Service is Started and Automatic.  If it isn't make it so by double-clicking it and adjusting in the box that will appear and click Apply and OK.

If you are using any registry cleaners or optimizers, don't as they cause this sort of thing.

Hopefully that might do something, let me know.

• 5. Re: Mcafee wont turn on!

Hello...thanks so much for taking the time to reply in so much detail  I went through every step in your reply and I still have the same issues.  I think i will just do the uninstall and reinstall and see what happens.  Thanks for the advice on uninstalling Malwarebyes first!  Do you think it would be helpful if I reinstalled the othe anti virus programs I had and the uninstall that again...I am starting to believe I did not unistall AVG or Norton completely even though I did it through the control panel.  You are so kind to help!  :-)

• 6. Re: Mcafee wont turn on!

Simply run the Norton and AVG Removal tools I linked in my post above.

Uninstall Malwarebytes (regular uninstall is fine).

Then try an uninstall, cleanup using McAfee MCPR cleanup tool linked under Useful Links at the top of this page, reboot and reinstall from your online account.

Reinstall Malwarebytes.

• 7. Re: Mcafee wont turn on!

I have followed your instructions and finally Mcafee is running a scan! :-)  I cannot tell  you how much i appreciate your assistance today! :-) Thank you soooo much! 

• 8. Re: Mcafee wont turn on!

That's great.  Have a good weekend    ;-)