6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2012 9:53 AM by lruiz.helm

Edit AutoUpdate Repository list for UNC fails if the format is not \\servername\sharename\path

1. I have setup a mirror task on my server to mirror the NAI repo.  It ran fine.

I setup the mirror to point to the root of the dedicated share I created for it:

The mirrored repo is shared as \\servername\DAT

2. I then go to a client and attempt to add the UNC repo using the VirusScan Console, Tools\Edit AutoUpdate Repository list.

3. When I attempt to add the UNC repo with \\servername\DAT I receive this error.

"Please enter the path to the directory where the updates can be found. A UNC path has the format: \\server\share\path."

I checked the Product Guide for McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.8, topic "Adding and editing repositories", page 151. It states this is the proper format for a UNC:

"Available only if you selected UNC path or Local path.

• UNC path — Using UNC notation (\\servername\path\), type the path of the repository where the update files are located."

If a subdirectory is required under the sharename then that should be explicitly stated in the online help AND in the product guide.

I did RTFM before I created the mirror task.  Nowhere is the extraneous subdirectory requirement listed with respect to a UNC for purposes of mirroring the NAI repository nor in Adding it to the local client's AutoUpdate Repository list.  A proper UNC does not require a path, just the servername and share.

To workaround this is did try to add /Current so the path was like this in the client: \\servername\DAT\current, naturally of course that failed as well, because the DAT file that is required for the client update is in \\servername\DAT.

Is there a patch or hotfix available to fix the client when adding/editing the AutoUpdate Repository list if the type of repository is a UNC so that it accepts \\servername\share?

Message was edited by: lruiz.helm on 8/8/12 1:34:16 PM CDT

Message was edited by: lruiz.helm on 8/8/12 1:37:41 PM CDT
        • 1. Re: Edit AutoUpdate Repository list for UNC fails if the format is not \\servername\sharename\path
          wwarren

Hi Iruiz.helm,

I'm not very familiar with this area of product functionality (mirroring is actually taken care of by the McAfee Agent), but, your posting implies the mirror will work if your source UNC repository looks more like \\server\share\path instead of \\server\share. Is that something you confirmed/tested already?

Because, then I'm wondering if it works as \\server\share\path but not \\server\share, wouldn't you just use \\server\share\path... or is something internal preventing you from doing that?

I would agree with you though, that \\server\share ought to work. But if \\server\share\path works then at least we can document a solution in the KB.
          In checking the KB, I do see a few articles that might be worth your time reviewing -

- KB53067 (looks like an old article; probably not applicable)

- KB53033 (looks like an older article too)

- KB53640

- KB65594

- KB60714

• 2. Re: Edit AutoUpdate Repository list for UNC fails if the format is not \\servername\sharename\path

Hello wwarren.

Thanks for your response.  I did implement the workaround in the client's Edit AutoUpdate Repository by using \\servername\sharename\path last week and it worked.     For the path I used 0 and moved all the files into that and adjusted the mirror task on the server that I use to store the mirrored repository.  I just needed a single character to fake out the erroneous field validation.

If this is not going to be corrected, then this requirement needs to be spelled out not only in the KB but also in the Users/Product Guide - for those of us who do RTFM.  Any such requirement must be documented and not assumed to be known by anyone other than the person who wrote that piece of code.  It's a pet peeve of mine: I am not a mind reader.

Thanks again,

Linda

Message was edited by: lruiz.helm on 8/14/12 9:36:41 AM CDT
            • 3. Re: Edit AutoUpdate Repository list for UNC fails if the format is not \\servername\sharename\path

As for the KBs. 

KB53067 - doesn't apply since the validation occurs on a mix of machines - either using Logged on User or a copy and paste for the account to use for this process.

KB53033  - doesn't apply since the server that is hosting the repo was also the one on which the mirror task runs, and it works.

KB53640 - doesn't apply, the error occurs on both 32-bit and 64-bit clients.  Additionally, I went ahead and defined credentials to use for all the clients - including going back to those where I had not defined them for testing purposes.  Finally we are running agent 4.5.0.1810.

KB65594 - doesn't apply. I am not getting the errors listed.  Same as above, agent is 4.5.0.1810.

KB60714 - doesn't apply. Not using EPO.  Also agent is 4.5.0.1810.

I have avoided deploying EPO given the problems I have discovered in these forums when changes are made and issues to sitelist.xml files.  I need something I don't have to babysit.

Thanks,

Linda

Message was edited by: lruiz.helm on 8/14/12 9:37:11 AM CDT
              • 4. Re: Edit AutoUpdate Repository list for UNC fails if the format is not \\servername\sharename\path
                Tristan

What you are attempting to do can be solved so much easier by using a distributed repository.

I have a UNC distributed repo called simply \\servername\epo

Because it's a distributed repositry i don't have to worry about manually editting the clients 'AutoUpdate Repository list' because ePO does all that for me with the agent policies.

Really the question is what special network/system configuration do you have that requires you to do it the way you are attempting to do?

Message was edited by: Tristan on 15/08/12 09:47:35 IST
                • 5. Re: Edit AutoUpdate Repository list for UNC fails if the format is not \\servername\sharename\path
                  nd_4_spd

In the paths you specify in your post I see you are not ending the UNC path with a \ after the sharename:

\\servername\DAT  try using  \\servername\DAT\

If you provide the path with the \ it will read the back slash as the root path of the share directory.

I've verified this in VSE 8.8

lruiz.helm wrote:

1. I have setup a mirror task on my server to mirror the NAI repo.  It ran fine.

I setup the mirror to point to the root of the dedicated share I created for it:

The mirrored repo is shared as \\servername\DAT

2. I then go to a client and attempt to add the UNC repo using the VirusScan Console, Tools\Edit AutoUpdate Repository list.

3. When I attempt to add the UNC repo with \\servername\DAT I receive this error.

"Please enter the path to the directory where the updates can be found. A UNC path has the format: \\server\share\path."

I checked the Product Guide for McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.8, topic "Adding and editing repositories", page 151. It states this is the proper format for a UNC:

"Available only if you selected UNC path or Local path.

• UNC path — Using UNC notation (\\servername\path\), type the path of the repository where the update files are located."

If a subdirectory is required under the sharename then that should be explicitly stated in the online help AND in the product guide.

I did RTFM before I created the mirror task.  Nowhere is the extraneous subdirectory requirement listed with respect to a UNC for purposes of mirroring the NAI repository nor in Adding it to the local client's AutoUpdate Repository list.  A proper UNC does not require a path, just the servername and share.

To workaround this is did try to add /Current so the path was like this in the client: \\servername\DAT\current, naturally of course that failed as well, because the DAT file that is required for the client update is in \\servername\DAT.

Is there a patch or hotfix available to fix the client when adding/editing the AutoUpdate Repository list if the type of repository is a UNC so that it accepts \\servername\share?

Message was edited by: lruiz.helm on 8/8/12 1:34:16 PM CDT

Message was edited by: lruiz.helm on 8/8/12 1:37:41 PM CDT
                  • 6. Re: Edit AutoUpdate Repository list for UNC fails if the format is not \\servername\sharename\path

Thanks Michael. 

I recall trying to use "\" at the end before McAfee issued the patch for the bad signature update a couple of week ago.  Prior to that patch, ending the share with "\" did not work. 

Message was edited by: lruiz.helm on 10/1/12 9:53:35 AM CDT