3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2012 8:45 AM by zaloorb

Cannot start Host Intrusion Prevention Service in services.msc (firesvc.exe)

techchick69

Hi all,

Here is a weird one.  Hopefully someone on this forum has seen this before as I cannot find anything on Google pertaining to this specific issue.

I cannot start the HIPS 7.0 service on a Windows XP SP3 machine within the services.msc console.  All other ePO services are started up just fine.  The Windows Firewall service is stopped and disabled and there have been no recent changes to this machine as well.  I've checked the NDIS driver and that is functioning properly.  I've reinstalled the firehk driver too.

The error that I get is "The McAfee Host Intrusion Prevention Service service on Local Computer started and then stopped.  Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alerts service."

I have attached a screenshot of the error for reference.

I have uninstalled the HIPS and have re-installed by deploying via the ePO console.  Within the Agent Monitor in watching the deployment, I see no installation errors when the HIPS is installing.  This is the only machine that is having this problem.  The rest of my machines are reporting back with their services started with no issue.

Anyone have any ideas?  I'd greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!