2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2009 6:43 AM by BWH

Virus Scan 8.0i won't update Dat's

Hi,

I'm running a Windows 2K server with Virsus Scan Enterprise 8.0i which will not update any .dats on 3 other Windows 2K servers.When I try to run a scan on a PC with virus issues I get an error saying that the Dat's are 62 months old and to update them.Inside the console portion I can test the connection to the 3 pc's and they respond back that they're online.When I try to update at each pc via the Mcafee icon it connects to the Epolicy however I receive dat installation failures after it does. Is there a way to upgrade 8.0 to the 8.5 version??

I have attached a copy of the Mcafee Technician report. Thanks

MVT Version : 5.0.1.0
      System Information
      Operating System : Microsoft Windows 2000 Server (Build 2195)
      Service Pack : Service Pack 4.0
      Language : 0409
      Internet Explorer Version : 6.0
      Internet Explorer Language : en-us
      System Drive Type : NTFS
      Physical Memory Available : 225276
      Physical Memory Total : 1048048
      Virtual Memory Available : 1563896
      Virtual Memory Total : 3570616
      System Architecture : x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.00GHz
      Date Time : 09/08/2009 10:33:03
      Time Zone : GMT -05:00
      Product Details
      Product Name : VirusScan Enterprise
      Product Version : 8.0.0.912
      Patch(es) : 1
      Partner : McAfee
      Product Status
      Product update required

Health Check Details
      Top Issues 3 Top Issue(s)
      Top Issue: McAfee 4400 Engine end of life. All services cease. January 31, 2007
      KB URL:
      Top Issue: McAfee 5100 Engine end of life. All services cease. January 31, 2008
      KB URL:
      Top Issue: The server was unable to allocate from the system non-paged pool because the pool was empty
      KB URL:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product Name : Common Management Agent
      Product Version : 3.1.3.106
      Patch(es) :
      Partner : McAfee
      Product Status
      Product update required

Health Check Details
      Top Issues 1 Top Issue(s)
      Top Issue: CMA 3.5.0 and CMA 3.5.5 End of Life Information
      KB URL:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        • 1. RE: Virus Scan 8.0i won't update Dat's
          Laszlo G
          Hi BWH, there are two things you need to have a look to:

Product Name : Common Management Agent
          Product Version : 3.1.3.106

If you are really using CMA 3.1 on these machines they won't update in any way, you need to use at least CMA 3.6 (3.6.0.604) or MA 4.0. If you don't upgrade these agents it will nver update DAT's and won't work fine with your epo server.

By the way you should use at least ePOlicy Orchestrator 3.6.1, any older version is EOL

Product Name : VirusScan Enterprise
          Product Version : 8.0.0.912
          Patch(es) : 1

Once you have upgraded the CMA's you will have to install patch 16 for VSE 8.0 or better than this install VSE 8.5 with patch 8 (don't forget to uninstall VSE 8.0 before doing this)
          • 2. RE: Virus Scan 8.0i won't update Dat's
            Thank you I'll add these patches.Do i have to update all 4 Servers to the newer DAT's amnd Epolicy or just the one that is running the Virus Scan Enterprise? Sorry for the lame questions as I am a newbie. Thanks again for your help!