1 2 Previous Next 14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2012 6:34 AM by Peter M

SECURITY CENTER QUESTIONS/PROBLEMS

mcafeecurious

But first -- why is there no "search" function for this "discussions" section (NOT the overall web site search function, but one keyed to searching only through the discussions)?  (If I've missed seeing it, tell me where it is and embarrass me!)

I have McAfee Security Center (originally installed by Dell) latest revision (11.0.678).  I've had it since last fall.  My OS is Windows 7 SP 1, all updates installed.

Questions/problems are piling up:

1.  This seems to have been a problem in the past (much discussed here) with no apparent resolution.  I haven't seen any recent discussions about it . . . why doesn't a scan start at the time when you've scheduled it for?  I've tried multiple time settings and a scan won't start for any time I select.  Even after intentionally leaving the pc idle (no keyboard or mouse activity, programs closed, etc.).  Why is this happening?  What is the cure?

2.  Why -- in the "Quarantined and Trusted Items" section is the "Send to McAfee" button/option at the bottom grayed out?  ("Select all", "Restore", and "Delete" are available.)  What is the cure for this?

3.  Why -- in "Firewall Settings", in "Attack Detection" -- are all 10 types of attacks listed marked "No" under "Detect"?  Shouldn't they be marked "Yes"?

4.  Finally, why is the installation program for what I have different between what I've downloaded from the Dell web site and what I've downloaded from the McAfee site?  Both files are titled "McAfeeSetup.exe" but the one from Dell -- on the "Details" tab for file properties -- says "File description" and "Product name" is "McAfee Download Manager", "Product version" is  5.0.0.0, "File version" is 5.0.259.0, "Original file name" is "DMSelfEx.exe", and file size is 4.08 MB.  In contrast, the one from McAfee (downloaded from my account here that was established pertinent to registration of my software) has "File description" and "Product name" as "McAfee Master Installer", "Product version" is 5.6.0.0, "File version" is 5.6.119.0", and "Original file name" is McAfeeSetup.exe.

My guess is that either .exe file will get me to the same result eventually.  And my further guess is that -- if I have to decide which one to preferentially use that the one from McAfee is the one to use.  But it was worth inviting comment on.  Which file should I use to reinstall? 

I am contemplating uninstalling what I have and reinstalling the program.  Besides the puzzles outlined above (#'s 1, 2, & 3), I have had at least 5 to 7 viruses detected by my program over the course of my using it -- this seems high to me.  Going to a completely different program from another vendor is on my mind also, but IF it's possible that a virus affected Security Center settings and performance than it's logical to think a reinstallation might be the correct move.

Any input on the above is much appreciated.

• 1. Re: SECURITY CENTER QUESTIONS/PROBLEMS
          Peter M

mcafeecurious wrote:

But first -- why is there no "search" function for this "discussions" section (NOT the overall web site search function, but one keyed to searching only through the discussions)?  (If I've missed seeing it, tell me where it is and embarrass me!)

I have McAfee Security Center (originally installed by Dell) latest revision (11.0.678).  I've had it since last fall.  My OS is Windows 7 SP 1, all updates installed.

Questions/problems are piling up:

1.  This seems to have been a problem in the past (much discussed here) with no apparent resolution.  I haven't seen any recent discussions about it . . . why doesn't a scan start at the time when you've scheduled it for?  I've tried multiple time settings and a scan won't start for any time I select.  Even after intentionally leaving the pc idle (no keyboard or mouse activity, programs closed, etc.).  Why is this happening?  What is the cure?

2.  Why -- in the "Quarantined and Trusted Items" section is the "Send to McAfee" button/option at the bottom grayed out?  ("Select all", "Restore", and "Delete" are available.)  What is the cure for this?

3.  Why -- in "Firewall Settings", in "Attack Detection" -- are all 10 types of attacks listed marked "No" under "Detect"?  Shouldn't they be marked "Yes"?

4.  Finally, why is the installation program for what I have different between what I've downloaded from the Dell web site and what I've downloaded from the McAfee site?  Both files are titled "McAfeeSetup.exe" but the one from Dell -- on the "Details" tab for file properties -- says "File description" and "Product name" is "McAfee Download Manager", "Product version" is  5.0.0.0, "File version" is 5.0.259.0, "Original file name" is "DMSelfEx.exe", and file size is 4.08 MB.  In contrast, the one from McAfee (downloaded from my account here that was established pertinent to registration of my software) has "File description" and "Product name" as "McAfee Master Installer", "Product version" is 5.6.0.0, "File version" is 5.6.119.0", and "Original file name" is McAfeeSetup.exe.

My guess is that either .exe file will get me to the same result eventually.  And my further guess is that -- if I have to decide which one to preferentially use that the one from McAfee is the one to use.  But it was worth inviting comment on.  Which file should I use to reinstall? 

I am contemplating uninstalling what I have and reinstalling the program.  Besides the puzzles outlined above (#'s 1, 2, & 3), I have had at least 5 to 7 viruses detected by my program over the course of my using it -- this seems high to me.  Going to a completely different program from another vendor is on my mind also, but IF it's possible that a virus affected Security Center settings and performance than it's logical to think a reinstallation might be the correct move.

Any input on the above is much appreciated.

The Discussion Search is at the top of any page here at the far right...look for the 'Go' button to the right of the blank search box.   Or bookmark the link in my signature below to go straight to Advanced Search.

Click pic below to enlarge and see what I mean.

Capture.JPG

In answer to your other questions.

1.  VirusScan is programmed to delay startup if the CPU is in use but should not delay beyond about 20 minutes.   It could be that your software isn't the latest version which is quite possible if it's supplied by Dell as they sit on it for ages before releasing it.   The latest versions have more or less taken care of that problem.

2.  Report to McAfee is grayed out because the protocol used for that procedure is blocked by most ISP's nowadays so it wouldn't work.    If it's in quarantine there is no need to report it anyway as McAfee already knows about it otherwise it wouldn't have been blocked in the first place.

3.  We've been told that those settings should be left alone.  Apparently they hark back to the old days and the developers are planning on phasing that section out in any case.

4.  I can't answer for Dell but they usually use an install manager if downloading from their website, that's all I know.   The software should be the same, but as stated earlier it's often an older version as they and other 3rd party suppliers often sit on it for months, supposedly testing it, but all they are really doing is making sure their logo is stuck somewhere on it.

Switching brands is your prerogative naturally but you'll find every brand has its own set of quirks, and what one catches and the other misses, could easily be reversed the next time around.  

Best supplement your antivirus with some good, free antispyware software such as Malwarebytes Free for instance.   See the last link in my signature.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 28/07/12 7:23:00 EDT AM
          • 2. Re: SECURITY CENTER QUESTIONS/PROBLEMS
            mcafeecurious

Thank you for the quick input, Peter.

First, I see -- now -- how the search function at the top of the page CAN constrain the results to the discussions.

The problem with a scan not starting at it's scheduled time seems more bizarre than what I'd first thought.  Even though my current setting is for a scan "Every Friday at 4:00 AM", no scan has happened since that time EVEN if 20 minutes has elapsed and the pc sits idle.  Also, two different places within the Security Center interface give conflicting information -- one place says "Next scheduled scan: Saturday, July 28, 2012 3:27 AM" (but no scan happened -- and why doesn't it/shouldn't it just say next Friday's date for 4:00 AM?) and another seems to give many dates that keep moving forward, with no scan taking place at any of those times or 20 minutes thereafter.  For example, right now as I type it says "Next scan: 7/28/2012 4:51 PM", and it had stated earlier times (at least 3 of them) while I've been on my pc right now.  No scans occur at the time it states they will nor do they happen 20 minutes or so later.   And -- I just right now closed McAfee and reopened it and, as I thought would happen, that "Next scan:" time is now moved up yet again to 5:10 PM.

I don't get it.  Does not seem either logical or intuitive.  As I saw someone post elsewhere here, what is the point of trying to schedule a scan at a time best for you if the function just doesn't do that and, instead, scans at some haphazard time which may or may not be related to what you attempted to have happen?  It right now seems like the function just doesn't work and needs to either be tweaked so it does or eliminated.  It basically only leaves you with the concept of manually scanning when it's appropriate for you.

My game plan is to wait at least a week to see if any scan is done at all.  I manually scanned yesterday and am curious to see if the program will give me a scan without my manual intervention.  I already know that it doesn't seem to do it when it should and although I may wind up being uncomfortable with that I'll leave my mind open to see if I can live with at least ONE scan within a week (I had set the scan for at least once a week, even if I don't get the Friday at 4:00 AM time I wanted).  But if it doesn't do ANY scan in that time then McAfee will be in prime contention for being abandoned.

I understand your comments about the graying out of "Send to McAfee" and it makes sense to me.  But it raises the criticism -- why hasn't some revision to the software eliminated that option?  Sure is confusing to the customers.

I also understand your comments about the settings in "Attack Detection".  One thing I'd like you to clarify -- and I hope others report too -- what do YOUR settings say?  "Yes" or No"?  All those attack descriptions certainly seem dastardly enough that one would logically want ALL of them to be detected ("Yes").  But if your settings say -- like mine -- "No", than I'll stop sweating about this one.  (But that would again raise the same criticism -- why haven't they been cleared out from the software previously in some revision?  Sure is confusing . . . and time consuming while your mind churns about what it all means and you post to discussions asking what it all means!)

Your comments about my two installation files mirror my thoughts.  If I reinstall I'll go with the one from McAfee vice Dell.  (And after I posted I read something on the McAfee site which sort of projected that was the better choice also.) I agree with you about installing some other anti-malware programs.  I'd always planned that but hadn't quite gotten to it.  Malwarebytes seems like my first choice (I'll look closely at your link and your comments about these other programs) . .  and I think Spyware Blaster also.  Third pick would be Spybot Search & Destroy (but, again, I'll read your thoughts before my executive decision!).

Here's my overall plan of action for McAfee Security Center per se.  I'll monitor this discussion for the next week and also that situation with the scheduled scanning.  If I still feel funny about everything after a week, it seems that leaves open the possibility that my present McAfee may have been corrupted.  With that premise, I'll then run the McAfee diagnostic tool (which I downloaded) and then, if appropriate, uninstall Security Center via Control Panel/Programs and Features (selecting "uninstall" in the right click context menu over the program listing), then run the McAfee removal tool (also downloaded from McAfee), then run the McAfee preinstall program (also downloaded from McAfee), then, finally, the installation file (the one from McAfee not Dell).  Whew!  (But this seems to be the preferred order of doing things per the McAfee site.)

Of course, if none of all that rectified things it looks like my romance with McAfee would be over!  (And, incidentally, a closer check of logs shows that it has been 7 viruses (all Trojans) that infected me despite having McAfee activated over the last almost 11 months.  Or am I being naive to think that performance should be better than that?)

Respectfully . . . any and all comments/suggestions appreciated.

• 3. Re: SECURITY CENTER QUESTIONS/PROBLEMS
              Peter M

I would contact Technical Support about the delay problem.  It's free and available by telephone or online chat, see the link under Useful Links at the top of this page.

They were dealing with it a while back and I thought the whole thing had long been sorted out.

We Mods have asked for that 'Send to McAfee' option to be removed but I guess they gave it a low priority.

Attack Protection on my SC has been removed.  I guess I have a later version.  I have Intrusion Protection instead.

Capture.JPG

• 4. Re: SECURITY CENTER QUESTIONS/PROBLEMS
                mcafeecurious

Peter -- thanks again for your interest.

I've been aware of the direct contact of tech support option and am keeping it open.  My one experience with trying to talk with them some time ago was sort of traumatic, so I'm saving that for a last resort.  I'll consider it after that week of monitoring I described above, but I'm probably going to go with the reinstallation routine (also described above) instead if puzzles remain for me.

Your screen shot above showing "Intrusion Protection" (in lieu of my "Attack Detection") is probably because you have (per screen shot) "All Access Total Protection" rather than my (same location if I were posting my own screen shot) "Security Center".  Two different products, although the interface/GUI is similar in appearance, right?  And my Security Center, per my first post, is up to date.

Anyone with "Security Center" have firewall settings for "Attack Detection" showing all attack descriptions showing "Yes" (to be detected)?  Or -- like me -- "No"?

• 5. Re: SECURITY CENTER QUESTIONS/PROBLEMS
                  Peter M

It's because my SecurityCenter is a newer version than yours. (11.6.385)

The format of the SecurityCenter is basically the same across all versions but in the newer ones that feature is changed along with other minor items.

I used to have Attack detection and in my case the items were all off by default.

Intrusion Protection is off by default in the newer versions too.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 29/07/12 4:21:44 EDT AM
                  • 6. Re: SECURITY CENTER QUESTIONS/PROBLEMS
                    mcafeecurious

Peter, regarding your stating you have a newer version than I do, two things.  One, I'm set up for automatic notification of new versions being available (which I invariably download and install).  That last time that happened was a week ago on July 23 which wound up being the version 11.0.678 I have now.  Two, it's apparent that McAfee DOES have different products with different features with varying prices.  You can see the "Total Protection" product you have on this McAfee web page:  http://home.mcafee.com/store/ .  I also saw another McAfee web page with your "All Access".  I'm sure that there's probably a very similar GUI for all these products and that some of them don't have content that others do, both in terms of some content just not there and also in terms of the approach/wording being different for some stuff.

So -- either I have some Internet demon preventing that 11.6.385 that you have from reaching me or, as is undoubtedly the case, the specific Security Center product has not had a revision made to it yet incorporating the "Intrusion Protection" in lieu of the "Attack Detection".  (If, in fact, they will be doing that.)

(All this is giving me another reason arguing for reinstalling next week, particularly with the idea of using the McAfee downloaded .exe -- I wonder if THAT will change the Firewall approach in the GUI?)

Could you clarify one thing for me -- when you say that when you had Attack Detection "that the items were all off by default" do you mean that they were marked "No" or "Yes"?  (I think you mean "No" but I thought I'd better confirm that with you.)

(Incidentally, the screwiness with that scheduled scan issue is still ongoing!  Still hasn't made a scan, still keeps advancing the next scheduled scan information.  I found this though: https://community.mcafee.com/thread/35578?start=100&tstart=0 .  Look at the third post down from the top of the page (by "Mohan").  I will try that this next weekend if the screwiness lasts that long and see if that solves the problem.  When you had referred above to having thought this problem had been cleared up some time ago, do you by any chance remember what the exact fix was?  And, if you do, was it this?

• 7. Re: SECURITY CENTER QUESTIONS/PROBLEMS
                      Peter M

I only have the higher version because I did some fiddling to force the newer version to install as I wanted to be a guinea pig to test it.  It is being released slowly as we speak so you will eventually get it.

The only 'different' versions are those that some 3rd party suppliers (Computer makers, ISP's etc. etc.) give their customers in that they lag behind, sometimes quite severely.

Different suites simply have more or less components in them depending on what they are but the versions should (eventually) be the same.

Yes I meant 'No'.  ;-)

The fix for the delay in scanning starts was simply to force the start after 20 minutes, or so we were told.  (10 minutes if CPU busy and wait another 10 minutes just in case).

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 30/07/12 10:09:43 EDT AM
                      • 8. Re: SECURITY CENTER QUESTIONS/PROBLEMS
                        Peter M

Sorry I falied to answer all your questions....have now amended my response above.

• 9. Re: SECURITY CENTER QUESTIONS/PROBLEMS
                          mcafeecurious

Peter -- we've got our own "private" two person thread going on here!

When you say "force the start after 20 minutes" . . . 20 minutes after WHAT?  The next scheduled scan according to what Security Center is telling me?  The time that I've said for it to start in my settings (which -- as I've reported -- has no relationship whatsoever to the next scheduled scan information Security Center is giving me)?  (And -- by "force the start", I assume you just mean manually scanning?)

I think I've already tried that a couple of times to no avail.  But if you can clarify a little more specifically regarding that "20 after WHAT" I'll certainly give it a go.  (But, honestly, it strikes me that what you were told is probably not the real "fix".)

Also, I've been boning up on the recommendations in your link to the tools.  I can see that my idea about Spybot is not a good one.  And -- one question about the information about Stinger.  On the FAQ's for it it states:

"Q: Stinger Rootkit scan results in “Not Scanned” on 64-bit Windows operating system.

A: Rootkit scan is currently supported for 32-Bit Windows operating systems only"

Well, I have Windows 7 64-bit.  But it also has 32-bit applications on it (of course) which means, I assume, that the OS retains 32 bit functionality as well as 64- bit.  (Or, I may be naive here.)  Bottom line question:  if I download Stinger and run it, will I get that "Not Scanned" result ONLY?  Or will I get results for the 32-bit parts of the system and a "Not Scanned" report for the 64-bit parts?  (Or to put it in other words, can I use Stinger at all or not at all -- the FAQ projects that I can't use it at all.)

Thanks!

Message was edited by: mcafeecurious on 7/31/12 3:55:26 AM CDT
                          1 2 Previous Next