3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2012 8:10 PM by Hayton RSS

Hello all,

mfeavfk01.sys keeps on being installed on my PC as a hidden file.  I get a warning from a different antivirus program (not mcafee) saying it could a danger as internet nasties could use it as a way of entry into my computer by attaching themselves to it or hiding within it. 

I remove the mfeavfk01.sys file but mcafee keeps on reinstalling it. 

I have contacted macafee about it but they say nothing, they acknowledge my email about it and then shut up.  Silence.  Full Stop.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Thanks for any help, Ralph.

• 1. Re: mfeavfk01.sys

mfeavfk01.sys and mfeavfk.sys are system files belonging to McAfee so why would you stop it? The 01 simply means the original is being replaced for some reason.   This can happen if you are in the habit of using registry cleaners and/or optimizers, which can wreck software installations in a flash.  Is there something suspicious happening on top of that?  Also what is this 'different antivirus program' you mention?

What is your operating system and service pack?   Also please open McAfee SecurityCenter and click 'About' and post the version of SeucrityCenter.

Your installation may benefit from ruinning the Virtual Technician as it often repairs minor problems:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

If you do not have McAfee installed then uninstall any McAfee component that still appears on Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program, (Add or Remove Programsd in XP)

then run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Note:  never install 2 antivirus programs at the same time as they will surely clash and actually could leave you open to infection.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 26/07/12 8:10:25 EDT AM
          • 2. Re: mfeavfk01.sys

Moved provisionally from Community Help to SecurityCenter as a more appropriate spot.

• 3. Re: mfeavfk01.sys

This was discussed in detail in another thread last March.

See https://community.mcafee.com/thread/43988?tstart=0 for the whole thing.