9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2012 2:15 AM by asabban

Web Reporter not boot into linux.

elmax

Hi.

I had to install the McAfee Web Reporter 5.2_05 on linux opensuse 12.1.

the problem is that after installation it does not initialize the service "webreporter_control" in "/ etc / init.d".

I've tried rebooting the system and WebReporter uninstall and install again.

Thank you.
      Max Ellison

• 1. Re: Web Reporter not boot into linux.
          asabban

Hello,

I do not think that OpenSuse is a supported platform for Web Reporter. You can find the list of supported platforms as part of the Web Reporter product guide on Page 14.

Is there any error message when you manually invoke the init skript?

Best,

Andre

• 2. Re: Web Reporter not boot into linux.
            sroering

OpenSUSE is not supported.  The product guides are only released ever major version, so may not always have the most current list.  This Knowledge Base article is kept current.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB68872

• 3. Re: Web Reporter not boot into linux.
              elmax

Greetings

In suse I can do the installation, but it only initializes the database. when I try start "webreporter_control" manually it not run and does not show error message.

I searched Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.5 server and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.4 server on Red Hat website but have not found these versions for download. I have access to downloads on this site.

what another version I could install the web reporter? the version of CentOS 4.5 also is not available for download.

Thanks

Max Ellison

• 4. Re: Web Reporter not boot into linux.
                sroering

I went to the Red Hat site but it doesn't give me the current versions for download.  What versions do they show you on your download page?  I want to talk with our engineering team and product manager to see if we can get the current version on the supported list.  I've heard mixed results with people using CentOS which is also not officially supported. Please keep in mind that CentOS is not the same as Red Hat Enterprise.

I can try to give you some help to get it running on Suse, but keep in mind that our Support team will not assist with these types of issues if you try to open a support ticket.  We would still help you with configuration questions, etc. but we cannot help with problems directly related to an unsupported platform.

It's likely that it's not starting because of missing or incompatible packages.  You might find some information in the server log .../Web Reporter/reporter/log/server.log

If you don't see anything in there, try starting the service directly using the run script (as root) .../Web Reporter/reporter/jboss/bin/run.sh

Any errors that you see, I would google with search terms such as "Jboss", which is the Web Server that runs the Web Reporter application.

• 5. Re: Web Reporter not boot into linux.
                  elmax

greetings,

thank you for responding.

The versions I found available on the website Red Hat are these below:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------

Red Hat Linux 7.1 i386

Red Hat Linux 7.1 Alpha

Red Hat Linux 7.1 for zSeries (64 bit s390x)

Red Hat Linux 7.2 i386

Red Hat Linux 7.2 for S/390 (31 bit, s390)

Red Hat Linux 7.3 i386

Red Hat Linux 9 i386

Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (v. 3 for x86)

Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES (v. 3 for x86)

Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS (v. 3 for x86)

Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (v. 3 for Itanium)

Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES (v. 3 for Itanium)

Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS (v. 3 for Itanium)

Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (v. 3 is AMD64/Intel EM64T)

Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES (v. 3 is AMD64/Intel EM64T)

Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS (v. 3 is AMD64/Intel EM64T)

Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (v. 3 for iSeries and pSeries)

Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (v. 3 for S/390)

Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (v. 3 for zSeries)

Red Hat Desktop (v. 3 for x86)

Red Hat Desktop (v. 3 is AMD64/Intel EM64T)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------

The folder "log" does not exist or has not yet been created.

when I run "... / Web Reporter / reporter / jboss / bin / run.sh" I see the error below:

11:59:30,050 INFO [Server] Runtime shutdown hook called, forceHalt: true

11:59:30,050 INFO [Server] JBoss SHUTDOWN: Undeploying all packages

11:59:30,066 INFO [Server] Shutdown complete

Shutdown complete

Halting VM

I believe that to work on suse it needs more packages.

But I managed to get it working in ubuntu 12.04 server 32bit. to start automatically at boot I had to put the lines "/ etc / init.d / webreporter_control start" and "/ etc / init.d / webreporter_idb_control start" in the file "/ etc / rc.local".

In ubuntu 12.04 server 64bit does not install the webreporter64 gives the error "Bundled JRE is not binary compatible with host OS / Arch or it is corrupt. Testing bundled JRE failed"

for now I will use the web reporter in ubuntu server 32bit. it's worked well. if you know of any solution that runs on 64bit I ask you to put it here.

Thanks,

Max Ellison

• 6. Re: Web Reporter not boot into linux.
                    asabban

Hi Max,

Red Hat Enterprise Linux needs a subscription. Probably it is not displayed because you do not have a valid subscription for the latest version of Red Hat Enterprise.

Instead of installing to an Ubuntu (which is a Debian derivate and has a lot of differences compared to Red Hat based linux distributions) I would recommend to use a Cent OS installations. Both operating systems are not supported, but Cent OS is much more closer to Red Hat in regards to package versions and init system. I just installed a 64 bit Web Reporter on Cent OS 5.8 64 bit. It takes around 15 minutes and performs well out of the box.

Just grab the ISO image, perform a "Server" install, install Web Reporter and you are ready to go.

A while ago I fiddled around with Web Reporter on Ubuntu as well but I found my life being much easier when running Web Reporter on Cent OS. Please make sure that for production usage you obtain a fully supported platform.

You can get Cent OS from here:

http://centos.psw.net/centos/5/isos/x86_64/

Just pick an ISO or use the net installer.

Best,

Andre

• 7. Re: Web Reporter not boot into linux.
                      sroering

As Andre said, looks like your account doesn't have a valid license for the current version.  So you could buy a new license with Redhat and be on a supported platform.  I need to update the KB since RHEL 6.1 support was supported since 5.2.0.03.

https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/ 23000/PD23557/en_US/wr_52003_rn_7003665A00_en-us.pdf

• 8. Re: Web Reporter not boot into linux.
                        elmax

greetings,

I found on the Red Hat website the version 5.8 x86_64 and is working very well.

The Web Reporter is working very well on CentOS 5.8 x64 version too.

I'll check which one is best for me.

best regards,

Max Ellison

• 9. Re: Web Reporter not boot into linux.
                          asabban

Hello,

good to know that you finally got a working set up. Please note that for a production environment you may want to use a supported platform which in this case means Red Hat. Even if Cent OS is close to Red Hat it is not explicitly tested and support may not be able to help in case of problems.

Best,

Andre