Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
3159 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 24, 2012 6:22 AM by Ex_Brit RSS
jamat7 Newcomer 1 posts since
Jul 24, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 24, 2012 5:42 AM

Moneypak Virus

Hello All-----I have a question. I have that "Moneypak Virus" on my PC. It's OK, since I was going to discontinue using that computer anyway, as it's 9 years old and slow. I currently just use a newer Laptop. My question is: If I transfer some of my videos, pictures, documents from my old infected PC to my Laptop-----can I infect my Laptop with the virus? I was going to burn the stuff I wanted to keep onto a DVD and then download them onto my laptop. But, then I started wondering if I could transfer the virus to my Laptop if I do this. I'd appreciate any help on this topic.

Thanks,

Jamat7

• Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,577 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jul 24, 2012 11:09 AM (in response to jamat7)
    Re: Moneypak Virus

Moved this to Malware Discussion > Home User Assistance for better attention.

It's quite possible you would transfer the infection so I would clean it off the old machine first.

First way would be to try System Restore to before it all happened....if successful, temporarily disable System Restore and the infected files will be gone.

If not successful try this removal guide, it's a good one and the source is very reputable:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-fbi-monkeypak-ransomware

Quoting from that removal guide is some important advice:

This infection is typically installed onto a computer when the user visits a hacked web site that contains malicious scripts that exploit vulnerabilities on the computer to install the FBI Ransomware without their knowledge or permission. It is for these reasons that it is imperative that all computer users make sure their installed programs, including Windows, are up-to-date with the latest patches. Later in this guide we will outline a method that can be used to make sure your programs are all updated and safe.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 24/07/12 12:09:07 EDT PM

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend