4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2012 7:50 AM by g_luva

HBSS

g_luva

Hello, I am new to the community but have been a few issues with the VSE module in HBSS. Whenever the systems are scanned the internal smart card reader is being disabled on Dell latitude laptops. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: HBSS
          Peter M

Moved provisionally from Home Products to VSE for better attention.

• 2. Re: HBSS
            wwarren

g_luva wrote:

Hello, I am new to the community but have been a few issues with the VSE module in HBSS. Whenever the systems are scanned the internal smart card reader is being disabled on Dell latitude laptops. Any suggestions?

Did you mean whenever the systems are scanned by the On Demand scanner?

This may be a consequence of the Smart Card Reader software not getting enough CPU time, and deciding to take failure code path as a result.

It could also be from having portions of its program/data that's in memory sent to the pagefile.

I would look at testing that it is reproducible when manually invoking the on-demand scan, and if so, look at how the scan is configured...

My first guess is, the Memory Scan causes the SCR software to think something's wrong. If that's the issue, the resolution from our end of the problem would be "don't scan memory" - the better solution would need to come from the SCR vendor.

We've seen it before where applications don't like being paged to disk - they lose track of data and failures ensue. (User mode apps cannot assume their code will always be resident in memory)

• 3. Re: HBSS
              g_luva

Wwarren,

Thank you for your feedback. You are exactly right in how the scan is behaving. I am testing it now but it still does. In my On Demand scan it is set to scan memory first. That is when the system locks the SCR. I have been trying to get with the Dell rep to see if they can advise on the driver because it doesn happen on all laptops with Windows 7, 64 bit systems it works properly. Also It doesn't do it with external SCRs. In the meanwhile I am going to contact my Global HBSS administrator and see if we can tweak the client task to not do memory for our installation until we can find the true fix. Thanks again.

• 4. Re: HBSS
                g_luva

I found the fix to my issue of the On Demand Scan disabling smart card reader. The fix is that VSE need to have all patches installed.