3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2012 9:58 AM by Tristan

McAfee Agent deplyment vs. update task

spongetron

We deploy the McAfee Agent (v. 4.5) to our client computers through a task sequence. On the server the agent gets installed manually.

In ePO I have a client task named "Deploy McAfee Agent". It is a "Product Deployment Task" with the settings according the printscreen (task.PNG). You can see the schedule in the "sched.PNG" printscreen.

Because we don't deploy the Agent through ePO, should I change the "Product Deployment Task" to a "Product Updat Task"? And how should I schedule the task?

Thanks for your advice.

• 1. Re: McAfee Agent deplyment vs. update task
          Tristan

You can't deploy an agent with a task unless there is already an agent installed on the client as it's the client agent that processes and actions the task. (I treat a agent deployment task more like an agent update)

You can't change a product deployment task into a product update task you would just create a new product update task and assign it along with the schedule to the client / system tree group.

• 2. Re: McAfee Agent deplyment vs. update task
            spongetron

Thanks for your answer. I know that the agent has to be installed on the system. In our environment the Agent gets installed through a System Center Task Sequence.

What I wanted to say is, should i delete the deployment task and create an update task, scheduled as above?

• 3. Re: McAfee Agent deplyment vs. update task
              Tristan

Up to you really. You could recycle it to deploy another application like VSE for example.

Are you using ePO 4.5 or 4.6?

4.6 has a slight tweak in the way you assign tasks and schedules where you can define task separately and mix and match assignments and schedules.

If your using 4.5 then, and if i remember correctly, it's a little more rigid.

Probably easier to delete it and start again.

1 of 1 people found this helpful