For a long time i have had an issue where my Dell laptop will not boot up. The only way I can to my desktop is to go through safe mode.
I have tried pretty much every fix without known the exact issue. However over the past 2 days I have found out that it is a McAfee issue and a known issue. As a test I removed mcafee and my laptop boots up perfectly - I then reinstalled mcafee and the issue reoccurs - remove again and laptop boots fine.
I have found numerous threads from here regarding this issue from 2010 (yes that is approx how long it has been going on for me - however after hard booting a few times i get a message saying chdsk is about to start - if I skip it I can actually boot up the laptop and have being doing this since then)
Below are the steps and some of the threads relating to this issue however none have ever actually being resolved - the users just uninstall mcafee. after paying my renewal i dont think this should be the only method to resolve the issue (remove the product I have just renewed)
my steps are copied and pasted from the second thread belwo as they are the exact same steps (I do not believe it matters what model my Dell is or any other info as this is an issue that has occured across different makes / models etc. my o/s is xp
https://community.mcafee.com/message/150728#150728 (contains links to other thread about the issue)
As above the common thread is
1) when issue started
2) only way around it is to remove mcafee
3) reinstall mcafee and issue reoccurs
1) At reboot, after the Windows logo, the display went black & HDD shut down (no drive activity), even though power switch was on. Waited for several minutes -- no reboot.Nothing.
2) Tried to reboot into normal mode from the power switch -- same problem. Windows logo -> black screen, no boot.
3) Tried to boot into safe mode with networking and got BSOD, and then still wouldn't boot.
4) Did eventually succeed in rebooting into safe mode (no networking).
5) From safe mode, was able to open McAfee GUI, but it said "not protected" and wouldn't turn on protection.
6) Uninstalled McAfee from control panel and ran MCPR.exe and checked to make sure all McAfee files were gone.
7) Rebooted normally -- everything fine, with McAfee uninstalled. Computer completely normal. Network connections fine, all programs fine.
8) Went out to McAfee online account,downloaded and installed a fresh copy from my account.
9) Everything looked fine -- GUI opened fine, system protected (green check mark), checked for updates, normal desktop shortcut, normal system tray icon.
10) I thought it was OK. I had not yet even tried to reinstall MBAM or SAS. It was ONLY McAfee installed at this point.
11) Just to be safe, I tried a normal Windows shut down and cold start one last time.
12) EXACT SAME PROBLEM: SYSTEM WILL ONLY BOOT INTO SAFE MODE, not normal, not safe/with/networking.
13) Had to boot once again into safe mode, uninstall McAfee, run MCPR and reboot. Voila! System is back to fine again.
14) Have done several system shut downs to check, and computer is working fine.
any help to a fix where i can actually mcafee on my laptop and NOT experience the issue would be fantastic
Message was edited by: rnswba on 17/07/12 7:47:45 PM