1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 19, 2012 1:12 PM by karthiks

Can't Open McAfee Total Protection, can't access the internet

I have a virus(?) that has disabled McAfee Total Protection on my computer running Windows XP. When Iog on and try to open MTP, II don't get the gray rectangle with the green writing, I get a white blank rectangele. Also, my access to the internet is cut off. I can not access Restore from the windows screen. When I went to the "F8" on booting up screen and chose Microsoft Console Recovery, I got a blue screen with a message saying "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut dwon to prevent damage to your computer. ........If the screen appears agains follows these steps: Check for viruses on your computer, etc." Well, I can't do any of that because McAfee is disabled or appears as a white blank rectangle. Malwarebytes still work. It didn't find anything this time. Two days before this happened, it found and quarantined 2 instances of "PUM.disable. securitycenter" - one in the registry data., the other in HKLM\Software\microsoft\security center\antivirusdisablenitify. CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME. By the way, Cisco Magic shows a disconnect between the computer and the router which it cannot repair.
      Operating System: Windows XP Media Center Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3

Computer: Dell XPS 600

Chip: Pentium(r) D CPU 3.00GHz