2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2012 6:24 AM by dmease729

Purpose of MFEcma in standalone VSEL deployments

dmease729

Hi,

I have not really been involved with VSEL much before, and have a query with regards to the standalone install process.  On page 12 of the VSEL 1.7.0 installation guide, McAfee Runtime and McAfee Agent are installed before the VSEL installer - is the agent (MFEcma) a critical requirement if the VSEL instance is to be standalone, and if so, what purpose does it hold, as the agent is usually only used as a communication 'proxy' between the endpoint products and the ePO server.  Is the agent required for its scheduling component (ie is it used to kick off configured on-demand tasks etc?).

We are now looking to centrally manage instances of VSEL in our environment, however the current build process for new physical and virtual servers involves VSEL being installed before the agent package (install.sh) is deployed (separation of support and management teams add a little complexity), so is it a requirement to essentially install the agent twice in this case, ie:

Standalone install (high level):
      - install McAfee Runtime
      - install McAfee agent (MFEcma)
      - install VSEL
      Install agent package from ePO:
      - install McAfee agent (install.sh)

It is *not* an option to install the agent and then deploy VSEL from ePO.  Essentially I am just trying to determine the purpose of MFEcma in a standalone deployment, and understand what would happen if it wasnt installed (it isnt a biggie to install it, I just want to know what is happening in the background)

cheers,

• 1. Re: Purpose of MFEcma in standalone VSEL deployments
          sbenedix

Not a Linux expert nor expert on VSEL but the agent is essentially the same across all platforms.

It has 3 main components: scheduler, updater and a management component. In a standalone install (no ePO) only the updater and scheduler are active once under ePO management, the management component gets activated as well (for policy enforcement, epo communication). Therefore the agent is a critical component also for a standalone install.

There is no problem in installing the agent twice, all the second install will do is "enable" the management component, drop another sitelist and several other bits and bops that are essential for ePO communication, thats it.

Hth.

• 2. Re: Purpose of MFEcma in standalone VSEL deployments
            dmease729

Hi,

Thanks for confirming, I had a feeling that would be the answer.  I obvisouly forgot to mention the updater component in my post which is kinda important, but thankyou for your concise and complete answer!