Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
321488 Views 72 Replies Latest reply: Jun 17, 2013 10:18 AM by Ex_Brit RSS Branched to a new discussion. Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Previous Next
  • Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,530 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Sep 30, 2012 3:02 PM (in response to tequilasun48)
    Re: FBI MoneyPak Scam - Removing Virus

No antivirus detects these things...read the thread for more information.

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
  • Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,336 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    31. Sep 30, 2012 3:47 PM (in response to tequilasun48)

As I said above not that great with malware removal but will try.

When you download the programs did you download stinger it is current and each download is the most up to date version. IE to update you download the next day's version.

McAfee Communities: Anti-Spyware, Malware & Hijacker Tools

Another thought is when you download the programs to a stick rename teh file and when you install it rename the default folder it is installing into as some malware recognise these names and block access.

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• johnnery Newcomer 6 posts since
    Oct 16, 2012
    32. Oct 16, 2012 10:08 PM (in response to gothamguy)

Hi gothamguy,

I just got the FBI MoneyPak Scam appear on my PC 10-13-2012 with McAfee up and running. 

I also managed to get by the blocking screen and started a full McAfee scan of all my drives, all files, registry ect.  McAfee did not find or do anything about the FBI MoneyPak Scam. 

I ran Ad-Aware for 10 hours to be sure every file was examined.  Again nothing found and nothing done.

I searched the internet and found Malwarebytes.  The folks at Malwarebytes were aware of the FBI MoneyPak Scam and indicated it was not a very new virus. 

I ran a free copy of Malwarebytes, it found the infected files and deleted them.  The scan report indicated that FBI MoneyPak Scam was completely remove and registry corrected.

My PC has been in use for the past three days with no issues.  Everythng indicates that the FBI MoneyPak Scam is completely gone.

I am hoping the moderator picks up on my reply and has an explanation.

All the best

John

Nov 23, 2002
    33. Oct 17, 2012 4:54 AM (in response to johnnery)

· ...from one of the lead developers of MalwareBytes (Bruce Harrison) :
    As far as why MBAMis very good at dealing with this type of infection, that is simple.MBAM is designed to be very good at dealing with malware that the AVs seem tobe having problems with. I do not spend my time making MBAM detect millions of infections that any decent AV already detects as MBAM is DESIGNED to work alongside antivirus software, not replace it. A huge chunk of the research that goes into MBAM revolves around what we see making it into HJT threads as the vast majority of these threads involve antivirus software that was in some waybypassed.
    Lets settle this now and avoid any further misinformation. MBAM is now a very good backup to any antivirus software and will only get better in the future.MBAM will NEVER add antivirus abilities to itscore app and is always advised to be used WITH antivirus software. We actually get this question a lot in the forums and I assure you that we always say :

"No, MBAM can't replace your existing antivirus software and is not designed to."

That said it would be nice if Mcafee picked up all there scams but it does not . This is common with the front line AVs so I hear.

Maybe stinger will detect it they ,the developers, seem to add this type of detection into it. Remember the malware developers change these things regularly so the general AV is playing catch up.

I will ask though if Mcafee has a better explanation.

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• dan3293 Newcomer 2 posts since
    Oct 17, 2012
    34. Oct 17, 2012 8:55 AM (in response to Peacekeeper)

I am like the guy earlier.  I got the FBI thing and it will not allow me to boot in safe mode at all.  With networking or not.  With networking it tries to connect to the net and pull up the message.  Does same thing without networking but has a web page that says no connection.  I cannot get to the safemode screen.

I noticed when I got it a small window came up on the monitor with what looked like a java script.  It ran very quickly and then went to the FBI warning page. 

I can't get in at all.

I assume I can remove the hard drive and set it up as slave is there any other option open?

Thanks

Nov 23, 2002
    35. Oct 17, 2012 4:04 PM (in response to dan3293)

That probably the way to go. I will ask a tech for comment as malware not my best area.

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator

• Newcomer 2 posts since
    Oct 18, 2012
    36. Oct 18, 2012 11:55 PM (in response to gothamguy)

i am suffering with trojan virus. my pc is not working normally. some time it is open many aplications automatically. how i removw this virus.

• vinoo McAfee Employee 513 posts since
    Apr 9, 2010
    37. Oct 19, 2012 12:18 AM (in response to makira)

Here are the steps i got from tech support to manually deal with this.

• If infection is active – reboot computer to Safe Mode with CommandPrompt.
    • In Command Prompt Window type explorer.exe
    • Locate the infected file and rename the malware file
      • Infected file location is usually %Temp% or %Appdata%
    • Use GetSusp/Autoruns if you're having trouble locating the infected file.
    • Reboot the computer to Normal Mode.
  • johnnery Newcomer 6 posts since
    Oct 16, 2012
    38. Oct 19, 2012 12:23 AM (in response to dan3293)

Hi Dan,

Did your procedure of setting up your C drive as a slave work?  If not, I found a solution that might actually be easier.

I noticed a time lapse between my Windows XP startup and the FBI thing taking over.  To me this suggested the virus (or whatever you want to call it) was starting like an application.

During the time lapse I kept pressing Ctl/Alt/Del and randomly shut down applications as they appeared by clicking "End Process" in the Windows Task Manager.

It took about 4 reboots before my trigger finger got lucky and I stopped the villain.

From that point I was able to download and use the free trial version of Malwarebytes.  Malwarebytes found the FBI "ransomware" and along with several other known spywares removed it all.

By the way I tried Ad-Aware, perhaps a more well known malware removing product, first.  Ad-Aware did not find the "FBI ransomware".

Please let us know if this method works for you.

All the best John

34. Oct 17, 2012 8:55 AM (in response to Peacekeeper)

I am like the guy earlier.  I got the FBI thing and it will not allow me to boot in safe mode at all.  With networking or not.  With networking it tries to connect to the net and pull up the message.  Does same thing without networking but has a web page that says no connection.  I cannot get to the safemode screen.

I noticed when I got it a small window came up on the monitor with what looked like a java script.  It ran very quickly and then went to the FBI warning page. 

I can't get in at all.

I assume I can remove the hard drive and set it up as slave is there any other option open?

Thanks

• Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,530 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    39. Oct 19, 2012 6:09 AM (in response to makira)

makira wrote:

i am suffering with trojan virus. my pc is not working normally. some time it is open many aplications automatically. how i removw this virus.

The first thing to do when one of these hits is DO NOT CLICK ANYTHING not even the 'X' to dismiss any popups.  Power down immediately, reboot into Safe Mode by tapping F8 repeatedly while booting up.

From there intitiate System Restore to before all this started.

Otherwise, there is an excellent removal guide here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-fbi-monkeypak-ransomware

Or simply read through this entire thread for multiple choices for dealing with this.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 19/10/12 7:09:18 EDT AM

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)