1 2 Previous Next 11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2012 3:30 AM by easy1ndian

MCAFEE DLP features

Dear All ,

Our company is doing a Poc for Symantec DLP below are the issues we want some clarification which can help us

1. Symantec is unable to protect or log an event if an unauthorized system accessed the network and try to access the files

2. Its not protecting files from being deleted edit or copy paste

3. Print screen cant be blocked

4. Policies are not working with Firefox browser

5. User can send files even define in policy through hotmail.com

I would like mcafee to come out with the solution on above and confirm if they have the features like

1. Print screen blocking

2. Blocking the user from deleting some specific files or moving them

3. User cannot copy the file or it should be in some encrypted form

• 1. Re: MCAFEE DLP features
          pdoucette

Hello, I am a current McAfee DLP customer and have this implemented and i can in fact let you know that Host DLP does just that.. im able to not only detect a screen capture but from what application it came from and take action based on this.

example we have a medical application that is monitored for screen captures and creates evidence of the capture, screen shot below

dlp.jpg

Using Files and Folders in conjunction with Host DLP you can also monitor network shares and where they go and take action based on your dlp policies.. this i havent implemented i only take action on removable media.

Hope this helps..,

If you have any other questions feel free to give me a shout.

Paul Doucette

• 2. Re: MCAFEE DLP features

Dear Paul,

very helpfull there are 2 more things

1. I have a file which is in excel/word or pdf and it is shared on network  with readonly access , any user opens the file and click copy and past it in new file can we stop this .

2. Second and most important if a user have some data on his laptop which is selected as financial or confidential data in DLP . Can we block user from deletion or modification of those files

• 3. Re: MCAFEE DLP features
              pdoucette

Yes you can create a screen capture protection policy that monitors screen capture based on tagged criteria..you could take action based on this...

deletion or modification ... hmmm...you can however encrpt the data with a special key that very few have..

ntfs permissions can control read write execute..

• 4. Re: MCAFEE DLP features

no paul this is not what i asked . Both points are important to control some special data from being tampered or going out of the company

• 5. Re: MCAFEE DLP features
                  pdoucette

I did answer your question.

1. I have a file which is in excel/word or pdf and it is shared on network with readonly access , any user opens the file and click copy and past it in new file can we stop this .

Yes, You can create a policy based on a specific tagged item and deny any application with clipboard control to enforce.

2. Second and most important if a user have some data on his laptop which is selected as financial or confidential data in DLP . Can we block user from deletion or modification of those files

My suggestions is to utilize ntps permissions...

alternative

Files and folders 4.0 working with DLP you can  have a limited encryption keys only assigned to the devices you control on your domain.. if moved or copied you would only be able to de-crypt this on your devices.. dlp can control thec content.. but would not be able to control deleting...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: MCAFEE DLP features

Thanks pdocutte ,

Can you please descrive in details about encryption thing

• 7. Re: MCAFEE DLP features
                      pdoucette

Certainly Files and Folders product works with DLP so you can enforce encryption as an action through dlp..  Example my business is a hospital, I can create policies when patient data is put on a flash drive to either force encryption or to deny based on the user, device.. 

Here is a link to the product

http://www.mcafee.com/us/resources/data-sheets/ds-endpoint-encryption-for-files- folders.pdf

• 8. Re: MCAFEE DLP features
                        geek

Greetings!

I`ve done video presentation for Endpoint Encryption for Files and Folders but... language is Russian. I hope you can understand functional without sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8jUvUtp5MA&list=UUHDULH1KGb9JGf4qD-kIhvQ&index=8 &feature=plcp

I`ve translated the folowing key moments:

1. safe storage of confidential data on your hard drive

2. separation of access to information that is stored on network shares

3. secure transmission of information via removable media

Hope this will be helpful.

Regards.

• 9. Re: MCAFEE DLP features

Thanks ,

Can you please post the contact details for mcafee in UAE so that we can contact them the one which is on mcafee site no one is answering

1 2 Previous Next