4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2009 1:13 AM by eggggs

Hi, sorry im new to this forum, and im not

Hi, sorry im new to this forum, and im not sure where do i post this. but anyways im using virus scan enterprise 8.5i and i have this problem where

[LEFT]13/8/2009 11:02:45 PM Blocked by Access Protection rule DET-NB0924393\common C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\McTray Common Standard Protection:Prevent modification of McAfee Common Management Agent files and settings Action blocked : Create [/LEFT]

keeps bugging me. anyone can help?

help help..

Posts combined and moved to the correct forum, Desktop & Server .... Moderator

help..

Suggestion - don't keep replying to your own message...it takes it off the unsanswered posts list...moderator
        • 1. RE: Hi, sorry im new to this forum, and im not
          What exactly are you doing when you see the error? A little more information about the computer and EXACTLY what's happening would sure help.

The error is caused because the Access Protection settings in the "Common Standard Protection" section are blocking attempts to change them.. You can remove that protection, should you wish to, by opening the VirusScan Console, then click on the "Access Protection" listing, then click on the ""Common Standard Protection" line, then UNCHECK the line next to "Prevent modification of McAfee Common Management Agent files and settings". You might also UNCHECK the box in the lower left corner which says: "prevent McAfeee services from being stopped."

Hope this helps.

Grif
          • 2. RE: Hi, sorry im new to this forum, and im not
            Oh whenever i boot up my com, the mcafee icon in the lower right of my taskbar will appear with 2 red lines around it, and when i right click on it, there is a view access protection log. and there will be a new [LEFT]14/8/2009 1:31:01 AM Blocked by Access Protection rule DET-NB0924393\common C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\McTray Common Standard Protection:Prevent modification of McAfee Common Management Agent files and settings Action blocked : Create[/LEFT] message. i tried excluding explorer.exe from the common management agent files and it solved the problem. but does excluding it make my computer vulnerable to harm?
            • 3. RE: Hi, sorry im new to this forum, and im not
              Well...Yes, it does make your computer a little more "vulnerable to harm" but no much.. If you're able to leave all the other items blocked in the "Common Standard Protection", then you're doing fine.. (As mentioned earlier, we frequently need to UNCHECK both blocking and loggine from that particular section.) As long as McAfee is staying enabled and there are no signs of a problem, (Hopefully, you have scanned the computer with a secondary program such as Malwarebytes or SuperAntispyware just to be sure you're clean.), then you should be fine..

Still, it's not clear why Explorer would be changing registry settings for McAfee each time at boot up.

Hope this helps.

Grif
              • 4. RE: Hi, sorry im new to this forum, and im not
                Thanks very much, i have downloaded superantispyware, and im currently running a scan. And yeah, puzzles me as to why explorer.exe has to "create" a new file everytime i boot up. :confused: