4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2009 1:59 PM by CDN_K3V

8.7 SP1 + Outlook 2007 = SLOW

Is anyone else seeing problems with Outlook 2007 opening very slowly when VSE 8.7 (patch 1) is installed? It takes 30-45 seconds for it to open. If I disable VSE, it takes the normal 3-5 seconds. I've noticed that the engineserver.exe process jumps to 40-50% CPU and 100+ MB of memory while it's trying to open, then drops back to almost nothing after Outlook actually opens.

Running XP SP3 32-bit and Office 2007 SP2. Machines are fairly beefy. Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz, 2 GB RAM. It happens on a dual Xeon workstation with 4 GB RAM too, so I don't think it's a case of just having a slow computer.

Hopefully a file or files can be (safely) excluded to speed up Outlook? Excluding outlook.exe itself doesn't seem to help. I have not tried turning off email scanning. Not good if that's the only fix.

Thanks
        • 1. RE: 8.7 SP1 + Outlook 2007 = SLOW
          Just some thoughts..

Have you installed Service Pack 2 for Office 2007? If not, the link is below:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b444bf18-79ea-46c6-8a81 -9db49b4ab6e5&displaylang=en

Secondly, although I don't have Outlook 2007 here, if you're using the Exchange Scan "add-in" disabling it can help tremendously. On our Outlook 2002 and 2003 machines, disabling it speeds up opening and closing quite a bit.. On this Outlook 2002 machine, open OUtlook, click on "Tools", select "Options', then the "Other" tab, then the "Advanced Options" button, then the "Add-In Manager" button. DE-Select the "Exchange Scan" listing.

Since all our mail is received through our Exchange service and all such mail is scanned there, a second scan at the machine really isn't necessary. Your situation may be different.

Hope this helps.

Grif
          • 2. RE: 8.7 SP1 + Outlook 2007 = SLOW
            Thanks for the reply.

Yes, Office SP2 is installed. Email scanning is not enabled and I don't see it listed in the Outlook addons. We too run email scanning on the Exchange server only. Seems to only be affecting Outlook 2007 as 2003 works fine.

Update - I did find the add-in. It was listed under "Exchange Client Extensions" in the Trust Center in Outlook 2007. Disabling it does help speed it up A LOT. Now I just have to find a way to turn it off on all clients. ePO is set to not scan email, but apprently the add-in, active or not, is causing issues. Hoping I can get rid of it with a registry tweak via script.

Thanks so much.
            • 3. RE: 8.7 SP1 + Outlook 2007 = SLOW
              Good job and thanks for posting back.

Grif
              • 4. RE: 8.7 SP1 + Outlook 2007 = SLOW

Update - I did find the add-in. It was listed under "Exchange Client Extensions" in the Trust Center in Outlook 2007. Disabling it does help speed it up A LOT. Now I just have to find a way to turn it off on all clients. ePO is set to not scan email, but apprently the add-in, active or not, is causing issues. Hoping I can get rid of it with a registry tweak via script.

Thanks so much.

I found this, just in case, shows you how to get Epo to not install it.:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB60689

Kev