I am starting to get the same errors.... I know the Microsoft just did a list of updates, but i can't remember if the errors started before or after the updates
is it this? "synchronization application has encountered a problem and needs to close"
in the details I see mcsync.exe and szAppVer 11.0.674.0 some more if someone wants it to compare with
it's been driving me nuts for more than 5 days now. We lost power for 3 days but I don't think the computer was on when the power snapped off.
P.S. It just did it again as I'm typing this so it doesn't keep me from using the computer
PPS I just got a pop-up that McAfee updated (dat)....
now here it comes at me again! "the synchronization application has encountered a problem and needs to close. we are sorry for the inconvenience. if you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost. please tell Microsoft about this problem. We have created an error report that you can send to us. We will treat this report as confidential and anonymous. to see what data this error report contains click here." "send error report" "don't send"
It's also being discussed in this thread. It may be caused by something in the new release of SiteAdvisor.
I had it too, and found the McAfee error logs for mcsync and uploaded all the messages from just before and after it happened. The logs have been passed on to the techs so they can check whether SiteAdvisor is involved.
If anyone else can provide excerpts from mcsync log files (please, not the entire file - there should be groups of messages for each failure) as well as the version of SiteAdvisor you've got (and when it updated to 3.5, if applicable) that would be very helpful.
updated 10 jul 12
I have 3 logs, located at .../MCLOGS/MISP/mcsync/, i can send them by email,
Ever since Windows XP got updated a couple of days ago I do receive the same annoying messages.
The debugger indicates the following code line in function ShouldShowMessage(pMessageHelper) as critical:
// Is IE/FF not the default browser?
var DefaultBrowser = pMessageHelper.GetDefaultBrowser();
if(0 != DefaultBrowser && 1 != DefaultBrowser)
windows XP service pack 3 Dell computer here. Site Advisor updated on 7/5/12 to Site Advisor 126.96.36.199. I can't find any logs, sorry ~ if they are somewhere I don't know where to look.
mcsync logs are in a number of places, as I just discovered. Different logs show different information - some with error messages, others just progress reports.
Most of the mcsync errors are on XP so far, with one report from a Vista user. Versions range from 3.4.x.x to 188.8.131.52, so tweaks to the code haven't yet removed the underlying cause. I haven't seen a repeat of the problem yet : my system is being unusually well behaved just when I want it to misbehave
After SA update a few days ago no more errors msg so far
Friday the 13th! have had about 24 hours with no interruptions from mcsync.exe application error. ( I hope I haven't just jinxed myself.)