8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2012 8:05 AM by Tristan RSS

EPO update with VSE 8.8 problems

bostjanc

A freshly installed WIN7 machine. Manually installed VSE 8.8 and at the end of the installation offcourse client's wants to do an update.

In update progress window I see this:

Downloading Catalog.z

Verifying catalog.z

File Catalog.z is corrupt. Downloading complete file again.

Downloading Catalog.z

File Catalog.z is corrupt. Downloading complete file again.

Error occurred while verifying catalog.z

Checking updata packes from repository McAfeeHttp

Downloading avvdat-6760.zip (TAKES AGES!). Soo I guess it's downloading from MCAFEE site and not our EPO?

EPO 4.6.3 (Build: 197)

VSE 8.8.0.849; installed patches: 1

• 1. Re: EPO update with VSE 8.8 problems
          JoeBidgood

Is this machine under the control of an ePO server, or is it just trying to use an ePO repository to update?

Thanks -

Joe

• 2. Re: EPO update with VSE 8.8 problems
            bostjanc

The machine is joined to domain soo practicaly is/will be controlled with EPO.

Epo has AD sync task to push agents to newly created machines, but I rather do manual installation on new computers because there are not soo many of them.

How do I install it manually on new PCs? On EPO server I have set up two folders to be shared.

C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\DB\Software\Current\VIRUSCAN8800\Install\0000

C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\DB\Software\Current\EPOAGENT3000\Install\0409

When I install fresh OS, I install Mcafee agent first from that folder, and then Virusscan.

Message was edited by: bostjanc on 7/3/12 2:50:41 PM GMT+01:00
            • 3. Re: EPO update with VSE 8.8 problems
              JoeBidgood

Hm - it's probably not what I'm thinking then. How do you install the agent? Which executable do you run?

Thanks -

Joe

• 4. Re: EPO update with VSE 8.8 problems
                bostjanc

C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\DB\Software\Current\EPOAGENT3000\Install\0409\FramePkg.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\DB\Software\Current\VIRUSCAN8800\Install\0000\setupvse.exe

?

• 5. Re: EPO update with VSE 8.8 problems
                  JoeBidgood

Okay, thanks. I might know what's happening after all

Do you force an agent-to-server communication after installing the agent but before installing VSE? I haven't tested this but I suspect that the agent needs to communicate at least once in order to get the repository keys - without these, when you run the VSE install, the agent will refuse to accept the update.

Try installing an agent, do a check/send properties using the agent monitor, and when the agent/server communication has completed, install VSE - does the install complete correctly?

HTH -

Joe

• 6. Re: EPO update with VSE 8.8 problems
                    bostjanc

Uf... I will try this tomorrow... Thanks for the hint...

• 7. Re: EPO update with VSE 8.8 problems
                      bostjanc

Joe, your instructions did not helped.

I have a new laptop.

I have manually installed agent (we already have a 4.6.0 patch 2 version)

Then I have clicked on agent icon to update security.

After that I have installed VSE and at the end when it does the update:

Downloading catalog.z.
                      Verifying catalog.z
                      File catalog.z could not be verified. Downlading complete file again.
                      Downloading catalog.z.
                      File catalog.z could not be verified. Downlading complete file again.
                      Error occured while verifying catalog.z.
                      Update finished
                      Checking update packages from repository McafeeHttp

And downloading avvdat-6784.zip takes ages again

• 8. Re: EPO update with VSE 8.8 problems
                        Tristan

After you've installed the agent and performed and agent-to-server communication does the new computer actually show up in ePO and report as managed.

What group is the computer AD syncing to in ePO and what is the repository policy for this group