5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2012 11:33 AM by Hayton

Find keylogger

theuser29

Hey everyone ,

How can I find if I have a keylogger ?  And will McAfee Total Protection destroy it and find it , if exist ? Because I`m pretty sure I have a keylogger .. o

• 1. Re: Find keylogger
          Peacekeeper

Run Mcafee followed by stinger and getsusp and finish with malwarebytes.

McAfee Communities: Anti-Spyware, Malware & Hijacker Tools

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Find keylogger
            theuser29

Ok , so if I download something and it has keylogger , this programs protect my computer from stealing informations ?

• 3. Re: Find keylogger
              Hayton

Keylogger programs are often part of a malware infection but they are sometimes - wrongly, in my view - classed by antivirus programs merely as Potentially Unwanted Programs.  That's because there are people out there who see it as their duty to monitor someone else's activities, and think that keylogging programs are a legitimate means to achieve that end. That's why you may need to run several detection programs, not just McAfee : some may ignore keyloggers, others won't.

I recommend Microsoft's Safety Scanner, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, and Spybot (although Ex_Brit and Peacekeeper may have different preferred programs for detecting these).

If McAfee isn't detecting anything you might try GetSusp : it will find any unknown files but won't delete them (just in case).

• 4. Re: Find keylogger
                theuser29

Thank you very much . I install Spybot search and destroy , I scan and found some problems . I press : resolve the selected problems and an error appear :

This action may not be performed completely since you are not an administrator .If you want this performed for all users, please run this application elevated as an administrator .

After that , a new error appear :

Unexepected error in fixing problems

(Cannot creat file ''C:\Windows\wininit.ini'' .Access is denied)

What should I do ??

• 5. Re: Find keylogger
                  Hayton

You need Administrator privileges to do some things. Run it again from an Administrator account. Before you delete anything, use Google to find information about any file in C:\Windows (or a subdirectory) that the program wants to delete. If there is any doubt, leave the file in quarantine so that you can restore it later.