3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2009 7:25 AM by PhilR

McAfee VirusScan 8.0i and lack of DATs after Dec 31st 2009

twenden
      I saw a knowledge base article from Jan 2009, that stated that McAfee would be no longer providing V1 DATs to older EOL products like VSE 8.0i after Dec 31st 2009. Can anyone really confirm that after Dec 31st VSE 8.0i will not get updates. I took a look at one unmanaged VSE 8.0i installation and noticed that during the update process that it was using V2 mcs files.

We still have some people running VSE 8.0i, mostly older slower systems. These systems would choke if we installed VSE 8.5i. I am not too sure how to support people running older computers that can't upgrade due to money problems or other issues. I wish that McAfee could provide a virus package that uses less resources.
        • 1. RE: McAfee VirusScan 8.0i and lack of DATs after Dec 31st 2009
          Laszlo G
          It's true that since 31st december VSE 8.0 won't update because of the new format of the files used by mcafee but I'm not sure if the problem is about virusscan, I think it might be a problem of the CMA used by VSE 8.0 and perhaps it can work with a newer agent even if virusscan 8.0 becomes unsupported

BTW: are you using CMA 3.6 or MA 4.0 on the machine you saw the v2 DAT?
          • 2. RE: McAfee VirusScan 8.0i and lack of DATs after Dec 31st 2009
            twenden

The standalone, unmanaged VSE 8.0i was updated with the CMA 3.60 standalone. If that was not done then it would not update to any DATs past Feb 2nd 2009.

I am basically trying to figure out how to handle VSE 8.0i on systems that are slow and not candidates for VSE 8.5 or VSE 8.7.
            • 3. RE: McAfee VirusScan 8.0i and lack of DATs after Dec 31st 2009
              PhilR
              Your luck has run out, I'm sorry to say.

VSE 8.0i originally had an EOL of December 31st, 2008, and had its life extended by a year (apparently due to performance issues with VSE 8.5i, which are allegedly resolved in VSE 8.7i patch 1).

Your options are:

1: upgrade or replace your under-performing boxes

2: upgrade to VSE 8.7i on those boxes (memory footprint is substantially lower than that of VSE 8.5i)

3: migrate those boxes to another vendor's antivirus solution

Cheers,

Phil