6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2012 12:46 PM by sroering

MCP uninstallation issue

satbir

Hi,

I am trying to uninstall MCP from one laptop and its asking for a code. On ePO i m unable to find it. Please help!

Regards,
      Satbir

• 1. Re: MCP uninstallation issue
          sroering

Do you still have the ePO extensions for MCP installed? Are you still using MCP, but just trying to remove it from one PC?  I'm asking so that I can give you the easiest instructions. You essentially have two options to remove the MCP client with the "Access Protection" enabled.  (Edit the MCP Policy, go to Client Configuration, scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see two check boxes)

screen009b.bmp

1) Deploy a policy with those options disabled.

2) Use the helpdesk tool in ePO to get the release key. (From the menu, go to Systems, Help Desk, Generate MCP uninstall Key.

helpdesk05.bmp

• 2. Re: MCP uninstallation issue
            georgec

You can also create an Uninstall task in epo. The uninstall will be done by the mcafee agent and no code is required.

• 3. Re: MCP uninstallation issue
              satbir

thankyou all! i have successfully uninstalled the software.

Reason to uninstall is that it didn't installed properly. I did standlone installation and used MCPPolicy.opg policy which was configured on epo which is in a seperate doamin. In logs it gave me errors. Does this kind of implementation works?

Regards,

Satbir

• 4. Re: MCP uninstallation issue
                sroering

While I don't think that is something MCP was explicitly expcected to be a common deployment scenario, I don't see why it couldn't work.  the customer ID + passkey need to match the policy.  That covers the MCP agent authentication to the proxy (MWG or SaaS).  Then the proxy will handle the request.  So if your proxy requires domain authentication to the client user, it will likely fail since the client is not on the domain.  But you could allow the client to bypass authentication in the MWG policy somehow. 

Do you know what error message you were getting?  Are you sure you matched the customer ID and passkey with the policy?

• 5. Re: MCP uninstallation issue
                  satbir

Actually the policy failed to appy on laptop. I am not sure if the standalone installation was successful because i did not get installation successful message nor MCP icon was present at the botton pane near time clock. I renamed client policy file to MCPPolicy as suggested in product guide. MCPservice was running in task manager. I tried to load policy twice.

Here are the logs:

06/20/12 : 16:23:04:22 - [ERROR] CWindowsRegistryPolicyDataStore::LoadPolicyOpgFile -  Failed to open policy file

06/20/12 : 16:23:04:22 - [ERROR] CWindowsRegistryPolicyDataStore::LoadPolicyOpgFile -  Failed to open policy file

06/20/12 : 16:23:04:22 - [ERROR] CWindowsRegistryPolicyDataStore::LoadPolicyFile -  Failed to find a policy file

06/20/12 : 16:23:04:22 - [ERROR] CWindowsRegistryPolicyDataStore::LoadPolicy -  Failed to load policy file

06/20/12 : 16:23:04:287 - [ERROR] CNetworkManager::getEpoServerDetails -  Failed getting registry settings for EPO

06/20/12 : 16:23:04:287 - [ERROR] CNetworkManager::Initialize -  Unable to get EPO server details

06/20/12 : 16:23:04:397 - [ERROR] CBypassPipeServer::Initialize -  Failed loading security module, bypass will not work

06/20/12 : 16:23:04:397 - [CRITICAL] CBypassPipeServer::run -  Failed loading security module, no bypass available

06/20/12 : 16:35:18:298 - [ERROR] CWindowsRegistryPolicyDataStore::LoadPolicyOpgFile -  Failed to open policy file

06/20/12 : 16:35:18:448 - [ERROR] CWindowsRegistryPolicyDataStore::LoadPolicyOpgFile -  Failed to open policy file

06/20/12 : 16:35:18:448 - [ERROR] CWindowsRegistryPolicyDataStore::LoadPolicyFile -  Failed to find a policy file

06/20/12 : 16:35:18:448 - [ERROR] CWindowsRegistryPolicyDataStore::LoadPolicy -  Failed to load policy file

06/20/12 : 16:35:19:95 - [ERROR] CNetworkManager::getEpoServerDetails -  Failed getting registry settings for EPO

06/20/12 : 16:35:19:95 - [ERROR] CNetworkManager::Initialize -  Unable to get EPO server details

06/20/12 : 16:35:19:580 - [ERROR] CBypassPipeServer::Initialize -  Failed loading security module, bypass will not work

06/20/12 : 16:35:19:595 - [CRITICAL] CBypassPipeServer::run -  Failed loading security module, no bypass available

• 6. Re: MCP uninstallation issue
                    sroering

My guess is that the policy file wasn't found, ie, failed to open because it wasn't found.

This article is targeted for McAfee Web SaaS customers who do not have ePO, but step 3 covers where you load the opg file.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB74269

You can create your opg file in ePO, then export it.  Doesn't matter if ePO is a member of a different domain, it's just important that the policy is configured in a way that the client can use.

To export to an OPG file:

1) Go into the edit dialog for your MCP policy

2) From the Action menu on the edit dialog, select "export policy to file"

3) Assuming your policy doesn't have any errors, you will see this screen.  select the second option for a Client file.

opg_file.png

The server file (and also selecting export from the policy list) will create an XML file format, not an OPG file.  The client can only use the opg file and it needs to be named MCPPolicy.opg.

EDIT:

If you want to see what options the MCP client is using, you will need to look in the registry if you do not have the McAfee agent installed.

HKLM > Software > McAfee > MCP > About

Message was edited by: sroering on 6/21/12 12:46:10 PM CDT