4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2012 9:10 AM by kink80

EEPC 6.1 cannot perform Remove EE from EETech Standalone

kink80

I have a machine that will not boot into Windows any longer and when I try to run the EETech WinPE disk I can authorize and authenticate but I cannot access any of the data on the disk. (i.e. When I go to the A43 file utility it just spins and the HDD light flashes constantly but it never opens.) When I try the EETech Standalone and try to Remove EE I get Removal Process has Started > Decrypting disk 0 > Started decryption and again the HDD light is almost constantly lit but it never seemed to make any progress. I am still @ 0% after 3 hours. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to proceed from here? Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: EEPC 6.1 cannot perform Remove EE from EETech Standalone
          Timmah

Hi Kink80,

I dread to suggest this, but it sounds like the hard drive could be giving up the ghost. Have you been able to run a SMART query on it?

Cheers,

Tim

• 2. Re: EEPC 6.1 cannot perform Remove EE from EETech Standalone

You probably should walk through these steps with the assistance of McAfee support the first couple of times. They will advise you that you should make a sector level backup of the disk before proceeding.

I'm still trying to work out the root cause of why the Remove EE function fails so often. We have problems with it on the standalone EETech tool, the BartPE, and the PE3.0 (Win7PE) environments that I've tested. Remove EE only works perhaps 5% of the time in my experience.  This is the basic recipe I follow:

What to do when removing encryption fails or hangs

When removing encryption fails, a critical structure (crypt list) in the EEPC file system has probably been deleted. You will need to reboot and load the EETech tool. You should authorize and authenticate using the exported .xml recovery file.

Step 1. In the EETech click Disk Information. Normally the hard drive will be disk 0. Make a note of how many partitions are on the disk. For each partition on the encrypted disk, write down the Start Sector and Sector Count.

Step 2. In EETech click the Workspace button which will allow you to view the disk sectors.

Step 3. Click Load From Disk > select the disk number (usually 0) > enter the Start sector for the first partition > enter 1 for the number of sectors > click OK

Step 4. Click Decrypt workspace and you should be able to see boot error messages embedded in the disk structure. This is how you know the disk is readable and that you’ve identified the correct start sector.

Step 5. Click Crypt Sectors, select the correct disk, enter the start sector of the first partition, enter the number of sectors in the partition, and then click Decrypt. You will have to repeat this for the second partition if the image has a second partition. Make sure that you enter the correct start sector and sector count for each partition.

Step 6. Click Restore MBR > click OK and reboot. The system will usually be bootable at this point or at least the data will be accessible.

Message was edited by: zeitgeist on 6/20/12 10:17:41 AM CDT
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: EEPC 6.1 cannot perform Remove EE from EETech Standalone

Another option you could try (since the hard drive sounds like it might be dying) is a utility such as SpinRite.  This can usually get a hard drive up and running, if not permanently, then at least long enough to get the data off of it.  SpinRite won't work if the hard drive is complete toast, but usually it's worth a shot. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: EEPC 6.1 cannot perform Remove EE from EETech Standalone
                kink80

Thanks to all who replied with suggestions. I ended up just replacing the HDD and not getting the data off of it.