4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2012 9:28 AM by kjhurni

VSE 8.7 vshield disappears on Windows 2008 R2 64-bit

kjhurni

I vaguely remember running into this before, but cannot remember what the fix was.

Windows 2008 R2 64-bit Enterprise edition

MA 4.5 agent installed (managed via EPO).  I believe it's 4.5.0.1852

VSE 8.7 with MASE P3 installed and then EPO updated to Patch 5

1)  The Vshield icon on the notifcation area disappears the minute you look at it (Windows says it's "inactive"), yet it keeps randomly popping up and disappearing

2)  You cannot run the VSE console (no errors show up on the screen, it just never launches)

????

• 1. Re: VSE 8.7 vshield disappears on Windows 2008 R2 64-bit
          kjhurni

Seems to be caused by Patch 5.

If I install VSE 8.7 with Patch 3, it works fine.

Manually install Patch 5 and it starts not working anymore.

• 2. Re: VSE 8.7 vshield disappears on Windows 2008 R2 64-bit
            kjhurni

Okay opened a call with McAfee.  Apparently this is a known issue, but it's only in their internal KB, not on the one that we can see.  They don't know the cause (which makes it fun to PREVENT), only how to fix it.

In the registry: HKLM\Software\McAfee\Desktop Protection

is a binary key:

LicenseInformation

For some reason Patch 5 corrupts the value of that key and that causes the problem.

You have to find a working machine and put the contents into the key value to fix it.

• 3. Re: VSE 8.7 vshield disappears on Windows 2008 R2 64-bit
              rmetzger

Hi KJhurni,

This problem seems vaguely familiar.

https://community.mcafee.com/people/wwarren Willam Warren discussed it here: https://community.mcafee.com/message/212949#212949

Based on this thread, it appears to be a problem on some systems that is caused during the upgrade from a previous version of VSE to the latest. Apparently the process of preserving the previous 'settings' causes the LicenseInformation and ASLicenseInformation to be corrupted 'sometimes.' Restoring these values should return normal operation.

I created a simple batch file that creates a .reg file for import purposes. I retrieved the relevant registry values by inspecting

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\mcafee\desktopprotection] on a working PC running VSE v8.7i P5.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\mcafee\desktopprotection]

"LicenseInformation"=hex:

"ASLicenseInformation"=hex:

(The actual hex:data has been removed for terms of service and licensing reasons.)

My suggestion would be to go to a known working system, export the key above, and create the .reg file using the 2 values:

LicenseInformation and ASLicenseInformation. Create your own LicenseInformation.reg as needed. These values will occupy 2 lines, so maintain the spacing to ensure the accuracy and integrity of the import process. I do not believe the OS needs to be the same, but possibly the version of VSE should be the same for safety sake.

Compare the .reg file created against the exported .reg, verifying the hex: data is accurate. Import the LicenseInformation.reg file into the PC having problems.

You may need to disable the default self-protection in order to import the .reg file.

Give it a try.

Thanks,

Ron Metzger

• 4. Re: VSE 8.7 vshield disappears on Windows 2008 R2 64-bit
                kjhurni

Thanks Ron.

In this case it wasn't an upgrade of VSE, and our VSE is set to NOT preserve existing settings.

Only when applying the patch does it cause this to happen.

But yes, have to disable AP in order to import the registry key (or figure out a way to allow regedit.exe or something to import it as an exclusion).

Just a bit surprised that McAfee hides this from the public KB.  Even more surprised that a simple PATCH causes this to happen (I can dupe it 100% of the time) and only on our server platforms for some strange reason.

I was hoping the internal McAfee KB had something like:

Oh if you have GPO that does ABC or some setting in windows server that is X, this can cause it.

Quite odd.

But at least I have a fix/workaround.