1 of 1 people found this helpful
Moved this thread to SecurityCenter.
Did you try a reboot again just to see if it ironed itself out? I wouldn't recommend disabling real-time scanning as that is what protects you, turning it off is effectively disabling the antivirus component.
You might want to open a case with Technical Support on this as they can troubleshoot it directly.
It's free to reach them by phone or use their online chat and both methods are linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.
I've been having this problem for years on XP, Vista and W7. It doesn't happen all of the time. A reboot fixes it. I'm using an account without Admin privs. I also believe this problem has been reported many times before so McAfee should be well aware of it.
Make sure the machines meet or exceed (preferable) the minimum requirements for the software (see below). Do regular cleanouts under Control Panel/System and Maintenance > Disk Cleanup.
If you are in the habit of storing emails in your Inbox, don't, make sub folders for that purpose. That can slow things quite a bit. Make sure all aspects of your system are up to date, especially IE, even if you don't use it.
Supported Operating Systems
- Windows XP (32-bit) with Service Pack 3 (SP3) or higher
- Windows Vista (32-bit and 64-bit) with Service Pack 1 (SP1) or higher
- Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit) with Service Pack 1 (SP1)
- 1 GHz processor or higher
- 512 MB RAM or higher for Windows XP
- 1 GB RAM or higher for Vista/Windows 7
- 500 MB of available free drive space
- Internet connection
Supported Browsers for Anti-Phishing
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 or higher
- Mozilla Firefox 3.5 or higher
- Google Chrome 6 or higher
Supported Email Programs
- POP3 – Windows Mail, Microsoft Outlook Express, Microsoft Outlook, Netscape, IncrediMail and Thunderbird
- MAPI – Outlook
- Web email account with POP3 access
Supported Instant Messaging Programs
- AOL Instant Messenger 2.1 or higher
- Yahoo Messenger 4.1 or higher
- Microsoft Windows
- Messenger 3.6 or higher
- MSN Messenger 6.0 or higher
Required for Anti-Spam Toolbar Plug-In
- Outlook Express 6.0 or higher
- Windows Mail
- Outlook 2003 or higher
- Thunderbird 1.5 or higher
- Anti-Spam also supports any other POP3 email client (without SSL) and web accounts
If you are in the habit of storing emails in your Inbox, don't, make sub folders for that purpose. That can slow things quite a bit.
I presume you mean don't make sub folders inside the Inbox. I have dozens of folders elsewhere. That's best prractice for handling large amounts of email.
Yes that's what I meant. Sub-folders of the Inbox would still be the Inbox by any other name.
Thanks for your time, Ex_Brit and Astor.
After the next update of my McAfee Antivirus Plus, the problem was solved by itself.
My system exceed the requirements for the software (4 GB RAM, etc.). And in my Microsoft Outlook Express I have dozens of sub-folders and dozens of rules to classify the messages in the moment in that they are downloaded.
All the other parameters (cleaning of the disk, of the registry, etc.) I also maintain them in good state.
Thank you for your support!
That's good. All the best.
Anyone with a similar issue please start a new discussion, thank you.