3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2012 10:13 AM by jbautista83

Unable to update

I need help fixing this error message which I just saw upon startup:

"Mcafee cannot update your software. Please check your internet connection. If the problem continues, please contact technical support."

Obviously I am able to connect to the internet right now - i'm using it to post this help message.

How can I get mcafee to update?

I am running mcafee internet security suite on windows xp.

• 1. Re: Unable to update
          exbrit

XP SP3 I hope and up to date?   As McAfee relies on Internet Explorer for settings please make sure that you have the latest available version installed (IE8 for XP) and set to its default settings.  It doesn't have to be your  default browser however, that choice is yours.

In IE go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click Reset, Apply and OK.  Close and reopen IE and go to Tools/Manage Add-Ons and re-enable any you need.

Try the update again.

If it still doesn't work try running the McAfee Virtual Technician from here:   http://mvt.mcafee.com/

• 2. Re: Unable to update

Thanks for your response. Fixing IE didn't work and the virtual technician didn't detect any problems. What else should I do? I'm not sure why mcafee won't recognize my internet connection.

• 3. Re: Unable to update
              exbrit

Is it via a proxy by any chance?     Try contacting Technical Support, it's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.