3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2012 8:51 AM by exbrit

Turn off Real-Time Scanning

Is there any way to completely stop Real-Time scanning.

McAfee recently decided that a 9 year old file thats is malware free (mcafee scanned and nothing wrong for years) is now infected, so it often gets deleted. To use it I have to disable RTS until I reboot, but even with it off, all I have to do is open the folder it's in for McAfee to detect and delete it.

Whats the point of having a Turn Off option when it doesn't work.

Also does McAfee allow adding of trusted items yet? If not what other security companies do as McAfee's products are getting ridiculous and tbh crap.

Message was edited by: Majestic on 14/06/12 08:23:00 CDT
        • 1. Re: Turn off Real-Time Scanning
          exbrit

You can turn off real-time scanning but you would then be totally unprotected.   Open SecurityCenter and click  Virus and Spyware Protection to expand, Click real Time Scanning and click Turn Off and tell it for how long.

There isn't a way to ignore a file unless the detection is identified as a possibly unwanted program (PUP).  We have been asking for that ability to be reintroduced in the home product for around 7 years and so far our pleas have fallen on deaf ears.

If something is being mistakenly identified as malicious when you know it isn't, follow the guidelines here:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2016

• 2. Re: Turn off Real-Time Scanning

But Real-Time scanning is off, yet the detection when the folder with the file in is opened is the same as when it's on.

What I'm saying is whether it's on or off, technically it's still on as everything reacts the same.

• 3. Re: Turn off Real-Time Scanning
              exbrit

It shouldn't be happening as far as I know but Technical Support might be better to advise you on that.  It's a free phone call and linked under Useful Links at the top of the page.

Is the object appearing in the Quarantine folder?