My McAfee subscrption was coming up to the expiration, so I went ahead and purchased the Total Protection 2012 (an upgrade from what I had prior) as i was very happy with them.
I went to my McAfee account online and clicked the down load button and went through all of the steps and thought it had downloaded.
However, i was getting that "Your Subscription is about to Expire" pop in the right had corner.
I then went to McAfee online chat with Techincal Support. They then did the following via remote access:
- Uninstalled my old McAfee software (i had 6 days left before it expired)
- ran a program to get rid of cookies and temporary folders/files
- he confirmed that this wouldnt erase any of my personal things
- He then went to my McAfee account
- clicked the Download button for the Total Protection 2012
- pasted the McAfee Set up icon to my Desk top and told me to click on that and follow the steps to Install Total Protection 2012.
- we ended the chat and i went through the steps and Install.
- then was prompted to restart my computer to complete the install and the McAfee Icon would be in the lower right hand corner and i would be good to go
- once i restarted my Dell computer, the McAfee icon wasnt there and the install didnt look to be completed
I then called the # I was given when i renewed my subscription (1.866.622.3911) and went through all of the prompts to get to Technical Support.
well that lead me to a woman who had a serious accent (I later found out that i was talking to the Phillipines). She then took me through the following process for an hour through remote access:
- Tried to go to my McAfee account on via Internet Explorer but we could not Log In as i normally use FireFox.
- we then logged into my account through FireFox, clicked the Download button for the Total Protection 2012
- the screen then froze on my desktop so the install process could not start
- she then logs onto my desktop via Safe Mode and tries the down load again (and again through Internet Explorer, which does not work, again)
- Safe mode doesnt work
- she then created a new User (McAfeetest) on my desk top and tries the down load process again
- and still freezes up and nothing happens and we cannot install the new program
- so an hour later on the phone she then tells me that someone will be calling me from Tech Support to fix the problem
- wasn t that her job in the first place!!?? i dont care how long i am on the phone with you as long as you listen to be and fix the problem!
- I asked why this was happening and she said that something on my computer was not allowing the INstall to happen.
- so that was a waste of an hour
- and my computer is now ZERO protected and i am waiting on someone to call me back (really!?!?)
I am not in the least bit techy of a person and have been able to download other programs to my Dell without ANY trouble. I want to stay with McAfee and am determined to get this new programmed installed as i purchased it, but i am getting very frustrated on something i would think should be relatively easy.
can someone please provide a clear, concise, idiot proof step by step that will allow me to install Total Protection 2012 onto my computer so that i can continue to use McAfee, be protected and so forth??? i have only had my Dell for 2 1/2 years!
Message was edited by: ranedrop515 on 6/8/12 1:01:31 PM CDT