6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2012 3:31 AM by jabra

7.5 Upgrade - Database upgrade failed...

dangerousd

I have a 3100 appliance that I successfully upgrade to Windows 2008 using an appliance image on discs supplied by McAfee. The backup I took of the database prior to the upgrade restored correctly, and the system was up an running on MVM version 7.0 with no issues.

Then I attempted to do the upgrade to MVM version 7.5 but it keeps failing the database upgrade part of the process. I get a prompt saying "The upgrade of the Foundstone database has failed. Please resolve any issues identified in the database error log and retry the installation procedure again.". So I click OK, it prompts me to rety, and we go round the loop again.

I've looked through what I think is the installation log, and the extract below shows what I think is the source of the problem:

08/06/2012 12:08:38 Connecting to server '[server name]' by ADO succeeded in the 'InitDB()' call.
      08/06/2012 12:08:38 GetDBVersion() call succeeded.
      08/06/2012 12:08:38 The current version of FoundScan database 'Faultline' is '7.0.159'.
      08/06/2012 12:08:38 calling RunPatchScripts.
      08/06/2012 12:08:38 Run Patch 7.5.141
      08/06/2012 12:08:38 Running script file 'D:\Foundstone\\DatabaseTemp\SupportFolder\Current\Patch\..\FLCreateFilesGroups .SQL' succeeded.
      08/06/2012 12:08:38 Running script file 'D:\Foundstone\\DatabaseTemp\SupportFolder\Current\Patch\..\FLAddedRoles.sql' succeeded.
      08/06/2012 12:08:39 Running script file 'D:\Foundstone\\DatabaseTemp\SupportFolder\Current\Patch\..\FLDataPopulation_fs sysFaultlineDefinitions.sql' succeeded.
      08/06/2012 12:08:39 Cannot resolve the collation conflict between "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS" and "Latin1_General_CI_AS" in the not equal to operation.
      System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException
         at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
         at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
         at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
         at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
         at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async)
         at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)
         at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
         at FoundstoneDBInstall.DBHelper.RunDBSQLScript(String scriptFileFullName)

08/06/2012 12:08:39 Running script file 'D:\Foundstone\\DatabaseTemp\SupportFolder\Current\Patch\..\FLDataPopulation_FS ErrorMessages.SQL' failed.
      08/06/2012 12:08:39 FoundstoneDBInstall Critical method failed.
      08/06/2012 12:08:39

Anyone else come across this? Any solutions?!!

• 1. Re: 7.5 Upgrade - Database upgrade failed...

Hi dangerousd,

The only message that stands out to me is the SQL Collation one.  Do you know if there was a mismatch between the 2 SQL Servers?

Please check the following KB Article:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB73898

The KB should help you to Identify which collation(s) you're using.

I hope that helps!
          Cathy

Oh, and the other log to check would be the FoundScanDBLog.txt file in the installation users MyDocuments Folder.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 7.5 Upgrade - Database upgrade failed...
            dangerousd

Yes, that does look like the problem. The SQL server itself is set to "Latin1_General_CI_AS" where the database is "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS". I don't remember ever being given the option to set that when I used the software recovery disk for the appliance, but wonder if it was caused by me setting Windows' localisation settings to UK??!?

Thankfully I've still got all the backup files from the appliance upgrade, so I think I'm just going to reimage the appliance and look out for the SQL collation option during the install - and just to be sure, I'll leave the localisation and timezone settings along until after I've installed everything!

• 3. Re: 7.5 Upgrade - Database upgrade failed...

Hi D.

Very likely...  If the server where you installed SQL Server was using "British English" as the language, then SQL server will pick up the language from the OS, and it might cause issues, and will be 'hard wired" to that language: according to Microsoft.

Your plan sounds solid...  Let me know how it goes.

-Cathy

• 4. Re: 7.5 Upgrade - Database upgrade failed...
                dangerousd

I'm happy to report back that rebuilding the appliance and leaving all the regional settings untouched until after the SQL installation has fixed the problem, and I'm now running MVM 7.5 quite happily!!

One additional note that non-US folk may want to beware of - I also left the timezone unchanged until I completed all the installation and upgrade processes, but when I changed the timezone everything stopped working. Turned out that was because at least one of the certificates that was created by MVM was timestamped to only be valid from the time it was created. By changing the timezone and effectively putting the clock back several hours, the certificate ended up being invalid!! I could have waited until it became valid again (which I assume would work), but instead recreated the certificate authority.

Thought I'd post my experiences in case they can help someone else in the future.

• 5. Re: 7.5 Upgrade - Database upgrade failed...

Hi D.

Great feedback!  thanks...  Based on this and another customers experiences we've made Development and Product Management aware of the issues with SQL Collation and non-american timezones/timeformats.

Thanks again for sharing, and have a great day!
                  Cathy

• 6. Re: 7.5 Upgrade - Database upgrade failed...

The validity of certificates should always be "timezone neutral", i.e. should work for all timezones. I'd suggest that the cerificate was timestamped incorrectly when it was issued, or that the validation is incorrect.

/Joachim