2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2012 4:08 PM by nonusedname

ePO 4.5 Questions - Server install of VSE annd Agents - Newbie!

Hi,

I have recently taken a new job and the last admin has left. One of my responsibilities is to look after ePO 4.5. I am new so please expect stupid questions sorry ^^.

ePO is setup with Distributed repositories for all the sites and that is working fine. All the workstations have VSE installed. However none of the servers i look after have VSE installed. About half of them have the McAfee agent installed but no VSE. Don't ask me why i didn't set it up.

Anyway in the interests of security my thoughts are this. The McAfee Agent only communicates with ePO and the reposotories is that correct? and then if there is a new virus signature file or product update it will update as necessary (if that is defined in the tasks). However if there is no actual Anti Virus program installed it will not really do anything in terms of protection. Is this true? I have read some of (but not all of) the "epo_450_product_guide_en-us.pdf" manual, and this is what it seemed like to me anyway.

So my idea is to install the McAfee agent and VSE 8.8 onto the servers.

I setup a test server and deployed the McAfee agent from ePO... i also installed VSE 8.8 it ahs been updating fine so that is all good... the only thing is it recommended I reboot the server after installation. If i have to reboot after installation then this will take a very long time as there are quite a few servers (After hours work... change process etc...) Can you just restart the services instead or does it require a full reboot?

Does anyone have any recommendations about how i should go about this? Are there any hiccups or anything i should look out for.. like SQL servers (should there be exceptions put in for things it shouldn't bother to scan).. I don't want the scan to kick off and suddenly i get quarantined files and break applications either.. i realise i will also have to adjust the scan schedule to scan out of hours or applications may become slow depending on resource usage...

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks for youtr time.

• 1. Re: ePO 4.5 Questions - Server install of VSE annd Agents - Newbie!
          pboedges

The McAfee Agent only communicates with ePO and the reposotories is that correct?  Correct, you can view which systems the agent is connecting to by examining the SiteList.xml file.  Also right clicking on the McAfee Agent icon and selecting About will show you the ePO Server/Agent Handlers that you are connecting to.

If there is a new virus signature file or product update it will update as necessary (if that is defined in the tasks).  Correct you will need a Product Update Client Task that is configured to deploy the necessary files

However if there is no actual Anti Virus program installed it will not really do anything in terms of protection. Is this true?  Correct, if VSE is not installed then nothing will be updated since no updateable products exist on the manage system.

The installation of either the McAfee Agent or the VirusScan client do not require reboots.  I would recommend that you ensure that any necessary exclusions are in place in the VSE policies prior to server installations, as there are some performance issues that can arise.

This KB has lots of very useful information pertaining to exclusions.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB66909

Message was edited by: pboedges on 6/6/12 12:41:43 PM GMT-05:00
          • 2. Re: ePO 4.5 Questions - Server install of VSE annd Agents - Newbie!

Thank you very much for your help. I will take a look at the link and setup my policy exclusions before rolling out.