1 2 3 Previous Next 27 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2012 4:18 PM by Peacekeeper

Mcafee restart and no internet connection or admin functions available

Good evening,

I have been reading all of the threads that I have been posted, but have been unable to find any that match my particular situation. As a side note, i researched my particular situation in google and have determined that multiple users are having the same problem within the last month.

Here is what happened. My computer is setup to run a scan every saturday night. Sunday morning the scan completed and Mcafee has a pop up that said two issues were found and my computer had to be restarted to fix one of the virus or trojans that was found. I did not restart at this time as I needed to do some work. A few hours later i clicked on Mcafee and hit the restart button. When the computer restarted the internet did not work. That was odd, but I have had this happen before and I went to connections and hit repair. But...according to my computer there are no connections. There is no network adapter at all that exists. So I try to go into the control panel to view hardware. Nothing there. No Hardware listed at all. So I try to log in as adminstrator and no matter what I do i get this error

"The specified service does not exist as an installed service".

No matter what I try to do to find programs or log on I get this error. I tried a system restore to 2 weeks prior and it did not fix this issue. My desktop is sitting with no internet access at all (i am using my laptop top type this).

A few more details is that I do not use my desktop for anything other than Email and internet. I do not download files or programs on it as I have to use it as a remote login to my job. I cant understand what is happening as everything was working fine until I restarted my computer at the request of Mcafee. As I had stated prior it appears that multiple users have seen this problem. I figured I would post here before calling Mcafee support.

Any help or ideas would be very much appreciated as I now have to drive to work everyday since I cant remote in through my desktop

• 1. Re: Mcafee restart and no internet connection or admin functions available
          Peacekeeper

The net issue is as you mentioned a mcafee issue see the faq for workarounds to use till it is fixed

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS101346

That said the dissapearing adapter is new to me. what were the trojans it removed?

• 2. Re: Mcafee restart and no internet connection or admin functions available

Peacekeeper,

Thank you for your reply. The link to the document is not working however. I have found similar threads that have a workaround, however I do not believe that I can use them as any admin features and the internet adapter itself seem to have been disabled. When I get home from work tonight I will post what was deleted by the Mcafee program using the logs on that computer. My situation is very similar to this link (but I am very cautious about trusting a site other than here for removing something from my computer):

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=110246

The only difference is my computer is relatively new and is running Windows 7.

• 3. Re: Mcafee restart and no internet connection or admin functions available
              Peacekeeper

Works for me however here it is in full

Unable to connect to the internet after a recent McAfee update

Environment

Affected Suites:
              McAfee AntiVirus Plus
              McAfee Internet Security Suite
              McAfee Total Protection

Affected Products:
              Firewall

Affected Operating Systems:
              Windows 7
              Windows Vista
              Windows XP

Summary

A small number of McAfee customers have reported they are unable to access the internet directly after a McAfee product update prompted them to restart their computer.

Cause

This is an emerging issue, and a root cause has not yet been identified.

Workaround 1

McAfee development is working with several customers to identify the cause of this issue and produce a solution. Until this issue is resolved, please try the workarounds below in order, as they have been found to resolve the issue for most of our customers affected.

Disable the Bonjour service
              If you have installed Apple iTunes in the past, you will have the Bonjour service loading each time Windows starts.

1. Click the Windows orb and select the Search box.

NOTE: Windows XP users should click Start and select the Run... box.
              2. Type services.msc and press Enter.
              3. Double-click the Bonjour Service.
              4. Click Stop.
              5. On the drop-down menu beside Startup type, select Disabled.
              6. Click Apply.
              7. Restart your computer.

If you are now able to access the internet after the restart, you do not need to use any of the additional workarounds listed below.

If you are still unable to access the internet, try repairing your internet connection as shown in the next workaround.

For more information on the Bonjour Service please see https://developer.apple.com/opensource/.

Workaround 2 Reset your network connection

1. Click the Windows orb and select the Search box.

NOTE: Windows XP users should click Start and select the Run... box.
              2. Type the following command and press Enter:

cmd  
              3. At the prompt, type the following command and press Enter:

ipconfig /release  
              4. At the prompt, type the following command and press Enter:

ipconfig /renew

NOTE: This will return internet access, but it must be performed each time you start Windows.

If you would prefer a workaround that does not have to be performed at each start, please reinstall your McAfee Suite without the Firewall module as instructed in the next workaround.

Workaround 3Reinstall your McAfee suite without the Firewall
              IMPORTANT: While McAfee does provide the steps to reinstall without the Firewall, we recommend you use this workaround only if the previous workarounds did not allow you to access the internet, or if the Firewall issue described in this article is urgently impacting your ability to perform vital tasks. Installing without a Firewall leaves your computer vulnerable to some threats and is not recommended.

1. Use the steps described in article TS101331 to uninstall your product and run the MCPR tool.
              2. Restart your computer.
              3. Open a web browser and go to http://home.mcafee.com.
              4. If required, log into My Account with your McAfee account credentials.
              5. On the Device Protection tab, select the McAfee Security suite you want to install on this computer.
              6. Click Download.
              7. Follow the on-screen instructions to install your product. When prompted, select Custom Install and deselect (uncheck) the Firewall.
              8. After installation completes, restart your computer.

Related Information McAfee apologizes for the inconvenience this issue may cause, and we are working to resolve it as quickly as possible. Please bookmark this article, as updates and details will be added as they emerge.

• 4. Re: Mcafee restart and no internet connection or admin functions available

Have tried the first two methods (does not seem to be a point in doing the third since number two did not work). Here are the error messages that I receive:

Computer Issue.png

Looking at what happened within the Mcafee logs. The threats detected log has mefdos.b as the trojan that could not be removed and had to restart the computer it says that it was repaired (removed). However, this had to be the sceanrio that is causing the issue that I am having right now. As I stated, the computer worked fine that night because I was working on it. Then the restart took place and this is where the problem started.

• 5. Re: Mcafee restart and no internet connection or admin functions available
                  Peacekeeper

Have you tried going back to a restore point taken before all this happened?

• 6. Re: Mcafee restart and no internet connection or admin functions available

Yes. I have tried this twice. There were only 2 restore points available. One a week ago, and one from two weeks ago. Neither one was able to fix this issue.

I also ran a full system scan of Mcafee last night and came up with the exact same results as before and Mcafee once again is asking to restart the computer to deleted the trojan that was found.

• 7. Re: Mcafee restart and no internet connection or admin functions available
                      Peacekeeper

Delete the restore points.

Did it say where it found the trojan and its name?

• 8. Re: Mcafee restart and no internet connection or admin functions available

Yes. From the logs. The trojan name is Medfos.b and it was deleted from:

C:\users\Joe\AppData\Local\Temp\dmsefg.dll

• 9. Re: Mcafee restart and no internet connection or admin functions available

I also want to say wow is Mcafee support abolutely and completely worthless. I spent 2 1/2 hours on the phone and 4 different departments later just to be told they will charge me $129.95 to fix my computer. Really? Come on. This was 100% caused by a Mcafee program restart. And I know 500% more than the techs know so i cant even see them being able to fix it.  Every person i talked to I explained there is no internet access and yet they still try to sell me a service that requires them to connect to my computer! LOL greatness.

Peacekeeper, any help you can provide is 100% appreciated as you have already asked more meaningful questions than Mcafee support.

1 2 3 Previous Next