1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 4, 2012 7:16 AM by SafeBoot

Boot disk required for external drive?

I had a laptop running Windows 7, with Endpoint Encryption installed (don't know the particuar version or how it was managed, but can find out if it makes a difference.) The hard drive crashed (could get through the Endpoint Encryption login, but then BSOD when loading Windows), and my IT deparatment shipped me a new drive. I do not and will not have Endpoint Encryption on this new drive.

I have a SATA-to-USB adapter to try mounting the old disk externally to recover a few files. What will I need to get through the encryption? I read through https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=PD22214 but that seems oriented towards a machine with encryption on the boot drive. I do know the encryption username and password.

• 1. Re: Boot disk required for external drive?

Your IT Team need to send you the right version of WinTech/EETech for your old activation - then you can boot off that CD and copy your files off your old drive.

It is possible to install xTech onto a raw OS, with the right drivers etc, but that's not something you should really be doing without the full support of your IT department.