9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2012 3:47 PM by Peacekeeper

ISP just switched to McAfee - anyone else seen this problem?

mcafeeInstallercrp.jpg

First it told me I had to download a newer installer whihc is 25 bytes larger then takes forever to install. Should be 10MB, CNET puts it at

speed.jpg

Seems a problem with the installer. Any one  else?

• 1. Re: ISP just switched to McAfee - anyone else seen this problem?
          k3tg

What type of security software did you have previously installed? Did you remove it via the Control Panel or Add/Remove programs and use the removal tool for that specific software?

It may also help us to know what type of computer you are using along with the operating system, service pack, ram, type of internet connection.

Is your computer up to date with Windows security updates?

It may be a server issue regarding the download but to answer your question I have not seen this.

• 2. Re: ISP just switched to McAfee - anyone else seen this problem?
            Peacekeeper

That happens I have seen it several times though not recently the server just  gets clogged it usually continues.

As your ISP just switched the old AV software issue Tom Mentioned  may be very relevant as well as heaps of users updating slows the servers.

I would wait till you retry maybe after a full cleanup via as below and cleaning up any old software.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 2/06/12 7:08:39 PM
            • 3. Re: ISP just switched to McAfee - anyone else seen this problem?

The old CA security suite was removed via ARP, rebooted, PCtools used to clean registry and prepare machine running Vista enterprise on a dell quad with gig ram and all MS patches up to date. Many other machines on the network and they are running Norton 360, NIS or CA SS without error. this was the first upgrade.

Notice went out in March so it should not have been one of the first.

Connection is 10GB copper but speed was a tad slow that  day as the connection speed to CNet above shows.

Installing MAV+ which has McAfee Security center 11.0.669 and virusscan 15.0.300 as a newbie.

This is a user machine and not a server.

BTW: would it not seem a better plan to allow download and installation offline for users? I mean uninstall all protection, remove all previous AV, Malware, spam and other protections, disable firewall and then connect to the internet to download protection as the installer requires a connection to work just  seems well, umm, insecure.

I would be much more comfortable with install and configure protection and connect to register with updates so at least there is a layer there at all times. Just saying ;^)

• 4. Re: ISP just switched to McAfee - anyone else seen this problem?
                Peacekeeper

Did you get it to work?

If not contact customer service the link is above in useful links tab.

• 5. Re: ISP just switched to McAfee - anyone else seen this problem?

Well I have it installed <100K items scanned and 13% done. Hopefully the scan will complete tonight and I can look into configuration. The other software I removed was plenty faster so maybe I need to uninstall and start over. but i do not have the downtime for the box to be unprotected in the short term.

Thanks Tony, appreciate the follow up.

• 6. Re: ISP just switched to McAfee - anyone else seen this problem?
                    Peacekeeper

Turn off use minimal resources that slows things down and on the settings for scheduled and custom scan use the exclusion options to skip scanning say large avis and zip files after they ghave been tested as safe. 

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 5/06/12 6:29:33 AM
                    • 7. Re: ISP just switched to McAfee - anyone else seen this problem?

I am not familiar with the product to change the settings. I will have to download some manuals to find all the configuration settings. I see in the help file  >> to keep scan from taking all computing power <sorry no cut and paste from the app>. I can find most information in there if I know what I need.

It did complete. All sysinternals apps  and altavista libraries were recorded as threats so I assume there is a learning curve and I have to set up trusts for each drive installed.

I will look over the defaults and ensure I have installed all the protection that is available to my license, I assume that would be automagic but I only see two apps as above. I assume updates are completed and the newest engine is installed?

[engine]

version=5400.1158

BTW my report shows the items I need to check but it says it fixed 2 items (I am assuming cookies) where do I find that report or the blow by blow path report showing all items scanned. It seems pretty low 6 digits?

Is there not a firewall installed in the security center. I enabled windows firewall prior to install and it still seems to be the only intercept. I see the compatibility matrix showing AV+ does not have the firewall and maybe when the installer forced me to download a newer version it lowered my protection.

Is there a website to check my license entitlement to see what software version I should be able to load?

Thanks Tony, you've been very helpful so far.

• 8. Re: ISP just switched to McAfee - anyone else seen this problem?

Contacted the ISP, there is a limited license for the features in the product for the AV+ so the firewall and license are no longer an issue.

FYI

• 9. Re: ISP just switched to McAfee - anyone else seen this problem?
                          Peacekeeper

So they say no firewall installed that is strange what ISP is this?

I thought firewall was always installed. Go to about top right and post your affid number.

Re the sysinternals etc unsure as never seen that  Will check around.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 6/06/12 6:47:09 AM