1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2012 4:28 AM by SafeBoot

Help! Old SafeBoot fails to boot

My first day on the job and a high placed employee is already screwing me over. He has been using this ancient HP EliteBook 6930 with SafeBoot file encryption turned on. I know the passwords, but he took it to a big box retailer who attempted to replace the MBR not realizing this wouldn't work on an encrypted drive. Now I log into SafeBoot and get:

Resetting hardware...

Starting operating system...

Missing operating system

Now is where the screwing me over part really kicks in - he is just coming back from an extended period of working remotely and this laptop contains all his work for the past 3 weeks. My new job would seem to rely on fixing this big cheeses laptop. I'm unfamiliar with HP's encryption system, but PLEASE tell me there is a quick way to decrypt this drive without an OS on the drive.

• 1. Re: Help! Old SafeBoot fails to boot

PS This is SafeBoot v5.1.3.3 and this is the only laptop using this (so no one here knows anything about it). I do not have access to a running installation, so no access to mentioned files needed for a WinPE disk (would prefer BartPE since it actually works).

on 6/1/12 4:23:42 AM CDT
          • 2. Re: Help! Old SafeBoot fails to boot
            mirrorless

I believe this product is not supported by McAfee..

You can check with your HP Vendor if they know..

• 3. Re: Help! Old SafeBoot fails to boot

I sympathise. Here's some ammunition for you.

1. This is a HP product that your guy must have enabled himself - it's not a corporate product. It's not supported by McAfee, sold by McAfee, or in fact, has anything much to do with McAfee.

2. When your exec enabled it - the product would have created a "rescue USB stick". If he has that the chances are good that you can recover his machine. If not, the chances are iffy.

3. There is no quick fix here - it's going to take HOURS, but most of that will be spent watching a progress bar.

4. To decrypt it, you're going to need to get a copy of either WinTech/SafeTech for EEPC5, or HP DiskTech (NOT the 2011 version), then, if you get xTech at least, you'll need an access code (available with your McAfee grant number and EEPC corporate licence, or from HP), and the user name and password to the machine.

If you can get the usb recovery stick and DiskTech, you don't need the code...

report back when you have some of this and we'll see what we can do next.

Finally, read this and perhaps present it to your exec to protect yourself a little and show you are going way above and beyond.

Help - I have a problem with Drive Encryption for HP ProtectTools

• 4. Re: Help! Old SafeBoot fails to boot

Thanks SafeBoot and mirrorless - now we're cooking with butter.

1. It doesn't say McAfee anywhere on it (so no big surprise there), but McAfee is the only SafeBoot product I know of (that is on there).  HP has been absolutely no help - their tech support is clueless (but for just $35 they will tell me if they can help the problem).

2. He doesn't have the rescue USB stick - but his password does work.

3. Hours of watching a status bar is better than the constant banging of my head against the screen so far.

4. I'm still looking for a copy of HP DiskTech (non-2011 version) but am having no luck. I have requested it on the HP forum - hopefully someone there has a copy to share. I have come across a copy of SafeTech 5.2.9 but am unsure if that will work in it's place.

I have taken a Symantec Ghost image of the encrypted HDD, can this be restored if I attempt to decrypt the drive and it fails?

Message was edited by: wsiab on 6/3/12 5:57:14 PM CDT
                • 5. Re: Help! Old SafeBoot fails to boot

When you talk to HP, don't mention McAfee or SafeBoot - that will confuse them. The correct product name for what you have is "Drive Encryption for HP ProtectTools"

that should help HP point you in the right direction.

• 6. Re: Help! Old SafeBoot fails to boot

just a thought - I believe the later versions of the McAfee EEPC disaster recovery key will handle the v5 HP product - so just use your McAfee version, the tools are more advanced, but will do the same job.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Help! Old SafeBoot fails to boot

Ready to try it (I even booted up SafeTech and authenticated and authorized), but I still need to know before I change the drive:
                      I have taken a Symantec Ghost image of the encrypted HDD, can this be restored if I attempt to decrypt the drive and it fails?

(using the sector-by-sector flag (-IA I think))

• 8. Re: Help! Old SafeBoot fails to boot

That's a question youd have to ask them I'm afraid.

Why dont you restore the image to a new drive and work on that?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Help! Old SafeBoot fails to boot

Great idea, but I bit the bullet before reading this.  I attempted to remove encryption and the drive still showed as not formatted.  So I opened up GetDataBack for NTFS and alot of the data was there.  Some was still lost, but I believe that was due to the attempts by *big box store* to replace the MBR (I think they may even have tried to reinstall Windows).  I look like a true hero for recovering what I could and I thank you for all your help Simon.  I will be looking through your Amazon wish list this Friday, so make sure it is current .

BTW - you can create a back up image using Symantec Ghost 8 (I know it's old, but so am I) as long as it is a "raw image" (use the -ID switch).  This is due to the HPFS.

1 2 Previous Next