5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2012 3:43 PM by PhilM

How to find the Dell Service tag on an 1100D appliance via SSH

infosecjeff

Does anyone know how to find the Dell Service Tag number on an 1100D appliance via SSH?

The physical appliance is located in another city and nobody can get to it or pull it out to look.

Also, will and 1100D appliance with 1GB of RAM, 160rules, 4 IPSec Gateway to Gateway tunnels, 4 network interfaces in a HA failover cluster be a decent candidate for version 8.2.1?

• 1. Re: How to find the Dell Service tag on an 1100D appliance via SSH

Hello,

You can find the Service tag with the command "dmidecode | grep Serial".  Refer to KB73037 for further details.

Yes, that box can upgrade to 8.2.1 just fine.  The 8.2.1 Release Notes (PD23594) indicate:
          The firewall must meet these requirements:
          Firewall Enterprise appliance D model appliance or later with a valid support contract
          • Hardware resources:
          • Two virtual processors
          • 512 MB of memory
          Note: If you plan to use features such as virus scanning or sendmail, increase the allocated memory to 1024 MB.
          • 28 GB of free disk space

Thanks,
          Erik

• 2. Re: How to find the Dell Service tag on an 1100D appliance via SSH
            infosecjeff

Your correct Erik for firewalls newer than 7.0.0.07, but unfortunely this one is 7.0.0.07.

• 3. Re: How to find the Dell Service tag on an 1100D appliance via SSH
              PhilM

Given that 7.0.0.07 is no longer a supported release, it would be wise to apply the necessary patches to upgrade to 7.0.1.02 or 7.0.1.03 anyway. Until a short while ago, 7.0.1.02 was advised as there wasn't an upgrade patch from 7.0.1.03 to v8.

However, there now is and based on my colleague's experiences (I've installed v8 on a number of occasions, but haven't done any upgrades as yet) the 7.0.1.03 to v8 upgrade seems to leave the resulting v8 rule set in a tidier state than the 7.0.1.02 upgrade did.

-Phil.

• 4. Re: How to find the Dell Service tag on an 1100D appliance via SSH
                infosecjeff

Yes I am doing both and upgrade for one large firewall cluster and jumping right to 8.2.1 for a couple of the smaller clusters.  I'm a bit confused on the 7.0.0.07 to 7.0.1.00 upgrade process.  First you download and install the 700UP package.  That's fine and has been downloaded.  The document also says I need to load a CD or USB with the 7.0.1.00 software, which is not publically available for download.  Can we not download and install 7.0.1.00 via the Admin Console?  I assume this is not an ISO like the 70100HW01.ISO.

Does anyone know if the documentation is correct?

• 5. Re: How to find the Dell Service tag on an 1100D appliance via SSH
                  PhilM

The documentation is correct. It seems a bit strange at first, but the 7.0.1.00 package was so large that  I believe the decision was taken not to make it available for download via the Admin Console.

What you need to do is to download the 7.0.1.02 CD image from the McAfee download site and burn it to a disk. You can then use the Admin console to load the necessary package files from the CD.

It has been a couple of years since I've had to run through this process, but I have a vague recollection that going from 7.0.0.07 to 7.0.1.00 involves re-licensing the Firewall.

-Phil.