1 Reply Latest reply on May 30, 2012 1:46 PM by Hayton

Unable to install Active X controls because of AmrDll.dll

I installed Acitve X controls and have been using them for a while and yesterday, I received a VirusScan Alert that said that my PC had been infected by malware/and unwated program.  McAfee then proceeded to delete the AmrDll.dll file which is part of the Active X controls (it didn't ask me whether I wanted to remove the file).  I then uninstalled the Active X controls and tried to install them again, but I've been unable to do so because every time I try, I get the same VirusScan Alert message and the AmrDll.dll file is deleted. Ever since then, I have not been able to run any Active X controls.

Is there any way for me to tell McAffee to allow AmrDll.dll?  I do not want to disable McAffee while I am running ActiveX.

Is there any other way to install Active X controls?

This is the link I am using to install my Active X controls: http://ipmcn.redirectme.net/WebClient.zip

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Unable to install Active X controls because of AmrDll.dll
          Hayton

The best thing to do is to submit the file to McAfee Labs for testing. The advice from McAfee is as follows :

Email
          You may submit samples directly to McAfee Labs by attaching the file(s) in an email to virus_research@avertlabs.com. When submitting samples via email, you must archive them in a password-protected Zip file with the password “infected” (all lowercase). For instructions on how to create a Zip file and password protect it, see these articles:

Using WinZip

Using Windows File Compression

Submission Information

To help us speed the sample review process, please provide the following information along with your sample:

• A list of all files contained in the sample submission, including a brief description of where or how you found them
          • What symptoms cause you to suspect that the sample is malicious
          • Whether any security products find a virus (tell us the security vendor, its product name, the version number, and the virus name assigned to the sample)
          • Your McAfee product information (product name, engine, and .DAT version)
          • Any system details that may be relevant, including operating system and service packs

You should also upload the DLL file to VirusTotal to see whether it's only McAfee that detects it as malicious.

I've found more than one file with the name Amrdll.dll, for at least two different applications, and one of those files (for "PC Mighty Max") is definitely suspicious : it makes unwelcome changes to registry settings. You don't say what the ActiveX is for : anything to do with PlanetMineCraft?

I tried downloading the file using the link you gave but it times out, and the server (supposedly in Mexico City) is unreachable, so I'll leave that to you.