7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2009 8:20 PM by Grif

VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i to 8.7 upgrade

Hello,

We are going to have to upgrade VirusScan Enterprise 8.0.0i soon due to EOL. I was just given this task, so bear with me if I don't have all the details.

Windows 2000 environment (I'm not worried about patch level here, I can get that taken care of if need be)
      Roughly 20 machines locally
      150 remotely, spread across about 17 sites
      There is no EPO, and no money for EPO.

I've worked with McAfee quite a bit in the past, including an EPO 3.5 rollout, but I am curious if there is a specific upgrade path I need to follow to make this go smoothly. We are currently running VirusScan Enterprise 8.0.0, Scan Engine 5300, Latest DAT, and Patch Version 10. We utilize a UNC Share for distributing the DAT updates. Another reason we have to move to a new version is in order to use the CommonUpdaterV2 structure to reduce bandwidth during DAT updates. So my question is basically can I go directly from 8.0 to 8.7? or do I need to complete some incremental steps? Yes, I realize this is much easier with EPO, but unfortunately I will not be able to get it. I've been searching the forums for a few days and I couldn't find an answer to this specific question. If I left out any info that would make this an easier answer, please let me know and I'll find out.

Thanks,

bpace
        • 1. RE: VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i to 8.7 upgrade
          Actually, I am seeing people have issues with 8.7 and 8.7 P1, so if anyone has advice on going to 8.7, or just going to 8.5, let me know. Also, does anyone have any info on when 8.5 is supposed to EOL? Going to 8.7, then patching everying to P1 really doesn't appeal since there are many remote workstations.

Thanks,

bpace
          • 2. RE: VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i to 8.7 upgrade
            Pretty basic.. Uninstall VS 8.0i completely, then install VS 8.7i, then install the Most recent Superdat package which includes the newest DAT and the 5300 scan engine, then install Patch #1, then install the Hotfix included with the patch.

One note.. If you're going to install VS 8.7i on Windows 2000 computers, make sure you have enough RAM on the machines.. We found they need 512 MB.

Hope this helps.

Grif
            • 3. RE: VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i to 8.7 upgrade

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep this in mind.
              • 4. RE: VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i to 8.7 upgrade
                Are there any possibilities of successfully scripting all of this or no? Or at least the removal the install of 8.7i or 8.5?
                • 5. RE: VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i to 8.7 upgrade
                  I would imagine without Pro Pilot or ePO, this task would have to be done manually on every system, i dare say you could write some scripts if you have the know-how for removal, but i honestly don't see how you can roll-out the upgrade.

what do you have setup at present to manage and update your 20 local and 150 remote systems - you must have some repository in play?? I would have thought that any standard current Grant number would allow the use of ePO.
                  • 6. RE: VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i to 8.7 upgrade

I was given the grant number this morning, and you are right, we have access to ePO, however, when I approached management, they do not have the funds from the customer to allocate for a server. I believe I can achieve what I want to do with Installation Designer and then script the install from the packaged file, but I'm not quite sure yet. I'm reading docs as we speak.
                    • 7. RE: VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i to 8.7 upgrade
                      I've got about 50 machines here, without ePO, and I have to uninstall and reinstall everything manually. For 99.9 % of the machine, a standard uninstall or VS 8.0i from Add/Remove Programs is sufficient to allow for the new installation of 8.7i to work correctly.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

Grif