I had the same issue. I renamed the file back to .exe and scanned the host for virus's using rootkitrevelar, malwarebytes and mcafee without any results. I cleared out all the temp files and rebooted.
Did you find anything on your machine?
The a/v i installed during the interim of mcafee being down has not found anything.
Do you have anything in your quarantine folder? If so can you delete them all? Also clear out c:\windows\temp. Rename the deleteme file back to .exe and you will be able to start Mcafee.
Check the usual areas for signs of infection HKLM\software\microsoft\currentversion\run and c:\documents and settings\users name\application data, c:\documents and settings\user name\localsettings\applicaiton data
I actually tried the rename, I had two "deleteme" files, and once I ran a seperate a/v on them and they came up clean, i figured they were legitimate files that got renamed during an upgrade process. I tried renaming both of them one at a time back to mfevtps.exe and restarting the service but the service was still failing to start. I'm going to do a full uninstall/reinstall tonight.