5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2012 2:21 PM by vinoo

are there any news regarding engine 5500?

D-Fens

is mcafee skipping ths engine?

• 1. Re: are there any news regarding engine 5500?
          sbenedix

Please refer to KB66741 in the McAfee Knowledgebase, that one should always have up to date info. It is coming, no worries :-).

• 2. Re: are there any news regarding engine 5500?

A rumour I heard was that 5500 engine is now only being deployed to consumer products, and that it will be skipped for Corporate products. A later engine due out this year will end up as the new corporate version...

• 3. Re: are there any news regarding engine 5500?
              vinoo

The 5500 engine will be a consumer windows only release.

McAfee is planning a substantial update for the 5600 Engine, targeted for 1H2013. Rather than providing  two Engine releases for VirusScan Enterprise in subsequent quarters, McAfee will instead focus on a single 5600 Engine release in 1H2013.  This release will apply to all McAfee products that use the Anti-Malware Engine, including VirusScan Enterprise and Consumer products.

A formal communication will be sent customers shortly about the updated plans for 5500 and 5600 engines.

Best,

Vinoo Thomas

Product Manager, McAfee Labs

• 4. Re: are there any news regarding engine 5500?
                D-Fens

Hi Vinoo,

i understand that large enterprises need to validate every engine update and test it in their environment, but small enterprises would really need the performance improvments now rather than in 9 months. (and i now, mcafee will postpone the RTW date)

what about the incremental engine update feature introduced in the 5300 engine series (i remember engine 5301)

KB66741:

Improved reliability and overall performance improvements

DAT loading and updating improvement for better performance during incremental DAT updates

McAfee is a fine AV, but this why i had to switch on low-end machines (3ghz p4, 1gb ram)

• 5. Re: are there any news regarding engine 5500?
                  vinoo

The costs for releasing an incremental engine turned out to be on par with a full engine release. It's not a route we're inclined to take in the near future.

We've made a concentrated effort to reduce our dat size. From 130MB at the start of the year it's under a 100MB and we plan to reduce it further in the coming months. This dat size reduction does ease things a bit in the interim until we make the 5600 engine available.