3 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2012 10:15 AM by Regis

Setting Up Throttling in MWG7

slayer977

Hi,

I am just trying to set up the throttling feature described in this whitepaper:

https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/ 23000/PD23273/en_US/MWG_Bandwidth_Throttling.pdf

I created a very simple rule, and deactivated all other rule sets ...

Snap38.png

Because I just want to test this feature I tell the Web Gateway to throttle all connections to 20kbit/s.

But when I start a download (openoffice for example) I get a much higher download rate:

I get 359KB/s

Snap39.png

Has anybody an idea, why it is not working?

Best Regards,

-slaYer977-

Message was edited by: slayer977 on 5/23/12 5:14:23 AM CDT
        • 1. Re: Setting Up Throttling in MWG7
          asabban

Hello,

can you ensure the request was sent through MWG? I see no reason why the rule should not trigger. I just tried the same with my lab MWG:

Auswahl_044.png

And it seems to work perfectly fine:

1- von 1 Datei - Downloads_045.png

MWG applies throttling by scaling down TCP window sizes. Is there probably some low-level network device (firewall/router) around MWG that could have an effect and tries to rewrite window sizes?

Best,

Andre

• 2. Re: Setting Up Throttling in MWG7

Are you using this on a VMware using a NAT interface?

I think there is a known constraint with the NAT interface that prevents throttling from working because the VMhost modifies the packet level data...or something like that.

• 3. Re: Setting Up Throttling in MWG7
              Regis

I am on 7.1.6.1  with appliances and have a Throttle.Server(10000)  on a rule that applies only to Responses and am getting throttling. 

Though, I never do get the throttling numbers to match what I enter.   As an example, a throttle of 10000 results for me in download bandwidth of around 18Mbps 

To ensure that your traffic is going through the MWG, I find Microsoft's wonderful sysinternals tcpview tool indispensible for verifying that given apps are actually paying attention to system proxy settings (assuming you're in an explicit proxy architecture).

Message was edited by: Regis  added note about tcpview  on 5/29/12 10:15:39 AM CDT