1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2012 2:14 PM by Peter M

File sharing problem

I’ve just joined the community in the hope that someone can help me with my file sharing problem.

I have 2 laptops and one desktop. File sharing has been working ok ever since I have had the computers. The latest laptop is over 2 year old.  I used to have McAfee virus Plus on all computers, again for over two years.

The problem happened when I decided to go for Total protection 3 weeks ago when the licences needed to be renewed. I started installation from the McAfee website with the desktop computer. At the time I did not realise that I had to uninstall McAfee manually, I assumed that McAfee installation would take care of that. So the installation process on the desktop went haywire. After tech help I finally managed to get it installed using add/remove programs then running mcpr.exe. It still took a few attempts but finally installed.

For the two laptops I used add/remove and the mcpr.exe before installing total protection. The two laptops are working fine.

The problem I now have is when I try accessing shared folders/files that are on my desktop from either of the laptops. The following error message appears :

\\Computer\\user  document is not accessible. Might not have permission.

Not enough server storage available.

This problem only occurs when accessing shared folders/files that are on the desktop. I can access shared files on the laptops from either laptop and desktop.

I suspect that the erratic installation of McAfee total on the desktop is still causing problems.

I have tried the following on the desktop :

On various Microsoft advise sites they say the server storage is actually an irpstack overflow problem. (See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/106167) They suggest increasing the IRPStackSize. I have tried this setting it to what I think is the max of 50. This did not work.

I uninstalled McAfee using add/remove (which hung) rebooted, uninstalled again with add/remove, then ran mcpr.exe.

With Mcafee total removed from desktop file sharing works as it has for the past few years.

I then reinstalled Total from my McAfee online account. – The file sharing problem is back. (there were some licencing issues in that it thought I had a forth pc, but this has now been resolve by support, I hope)

I have disabled the firewall on McAfee – still no luck.

I have looked at the control panel->admin tools->event viewer and system , it is showing a lot of Xerrors most of which state :

The server’s configuration parameter “irpstacksize” is too small.

The event log also shows warnings with mfehidk  : “process **SVHOST.EXE pid 232 contains unsigned or corruoted code and was blocked from performing a privileged operation with a McAfee driver.

Can anyone help me resolve this or has anyone else had similar problems ?

• 1. Re: File sharing problem
          Peter M

I would imagine Technical Support again would be your best bet here, especially on a weekend.   It's free via phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of the page.

However I'll try to make suggestions although I don't use file sharing myself.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Dismiss any slogan that might be displayed

Click Web and Email Protection below

Click Firewall

Click Ports and System Services and check the item Windows File Sharing (NETBIOS) Ports 137-139

See if that helps.

It would have be done on all the systems sharing.

• 2. Re: File sharing problem
            Peter M

Moved thread to SecurityCenter.

• 3. Re: File sharing problem

Thanks for the quick response. I have had a support call logged out for this problem for about a week. but it seems to be taking a long time escallating up the tree.

I have tried setting the ports on the firewall, in fact I tried setting all the ports with no luck. I also completely turned off the firewall, but it still didn't work.

but thanks anyway.

• 4. Re: File sharing problem
                Peter M

Knowing nothing about file sharing doesn't help but are you using a specific software for it?   If so make sure it has full access under 'Internet Connections for Programs' in that same area and try turning off Netguard for it by using the Edit button and then click 'Save'.

Hint:  To alphabetize the list click 'Program' at the top.

• 5. Re: File sharing problem
                  Hayton

I don't know about the file sharing problem but the Event Log messages are supposedly nothing to worry about. I've been seeing this in my logs for a week or two -

Process **\SVCHOST.EXE pid (1600) contains signed but untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a McAfee driver.

There is a discussion about it at https://community.mcafee.com/thread/41724?start=0&tstart=0

Message was edited by: Hayton - typo - on 19/05/12 18:22:31 IST
                  • 6. Re: File sharing problem

Thanks, I wasn't sure wether it was relevent or not, I thought I would mention it just in case. The only odd thing though, is that when I uninstalled McAfee from my desktop, and tried file sharing, which work fine, there were no errors or warnings in the windows system event log. Also, the two laptops (which are working ok with McAfee and file sharing) their event log show no errrors or warnings.

• 7. Re: File sharing problem

There is nothing fancy about my file sharing, just the windows explorer. under network, it shows the various computers on the LAN, you can select the computer, and the various shared folders that are on that computer will are displayed. clicking on a folder will show the files. I can access the shared folders that are on the laptops from any computer, but when I try accessing the shared folders that are on the desktop from either laptop, this error message is displayed  :

\\Computer\\user  document is not accessible. Might not have permission.

Not enough server storage available.

• 8. Re: File sharing problem
                        Peter M

That error is misleading.   I don't think it has anything to do with any server.  I Googled and this came up:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/106167

• 9. Re: File sharing problem

Thank ExBrit, but this is the same link that I described I looked up in my main post !.

As I say :

On various Microsoft advise sites they say the server storage error is actually an irpstack overflow problem. (See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/106167) They suggest increasing the IRPStackSize. I have tried this setting it to what I think is the max of 50. This did not work.

Also, the errors in the windows event log specify that the irpstack is full and suggest that the Iprstacksize is increased.

I set the IRPStackSize in the following registry location :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

I've read that the maximum value is 50 (decimal), which is what I have set it to in the registry. Does anyone know if it should be set to a higher value. ?

The irpstacksize seems to be a problem with some other anitvirus software as well, and seems to be fixed by increasing its value. Their problems seem to be fixed with a value of 30(decimal) or less.

1 2 Previous Next