2 Replies Latest reply: May 19, 2012 9:02 AM by Ex_Brit RSS

Internet Explorer has been hijacked

kss

I welcome advice.

Internet Explorer has been hyjacked by a virus that directs most every selction from a Google search to hxxp://click.get-answers-fast.com/ads-clicktrack .  McAfee SiteAdvisor will not take me to the website, but nonetheless I can not go to the desired website.  Running a McAfee virus scan in safemode will not identify and quarantine the virus. 

Link broken and header changed for security reasons - Moderator

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 19/05/12 8:45:13 EDT AM
        • 1. Re: Internet Explorer has been hijacked
          Ex_Brit

Moved this to Malware Discussion > Home User Assistance and broke the link/removed the header for security reasons.    Boot into Safe Mode by tapping F8 repeatedly while booting up.  Then go to Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools and initiate System Restore to go back to before this all happened.  Alternatively go to Start/Run and type in rstrui.exe and click OK and hit the Enter key.  Not knowing your system and service pack these instructions may vary slightly.  If that is successful then temporarily disable System Restore to delete the infected restore point.   You will also need to update McAfee and possibly Windows too.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 19/05/12 8:50:18 EDT AM
          • 2. Re: Internet Explorer has been hijacked
            Ex_Brit

If that fails follow some guidelines here, possibly Malwarebytes Free (NOT Pro or the free trial) in 'Safe Mode with Networking' or the Hijackthis routine posted further down that page:

Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 19/05/12 10:02:04 EDT AM