6 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2012 3:20 PM by jcmiller54

Is my lan secure?

jcmiller54

Hello,

I am running an SG560 Ver. 4.0.7

I've recently had to change up my ISP. I currently have this setup.

A1 - Lan - DHCP Server - 192.168.99.x (Has a wireless access point connected. DHCP by SG560.)

A2 - Unused (Had been a guest wireless connection that kept giving me grief with disconnects.)

A3 - Unused

A4 - Internet - ADSL PPPoE (runs about 300k)

B - Internet - Wireless Hub

The internet connection to the lan is working well. I'm concerned about wireless connections to the Wireless hub, which is running DHCP - 192.168.1.x

I want to keep wireless clients from accessing the lan through the wirless hub.

Thanks

John

• 1. Re: Is my lan secure?

Setup the wireless connections of port A3 which you would configure as a DMZ.....which will restrict access to all but the internet

• 2. Re: Is my lan secure?
            jcmiller54

Hi Ross,

Not sure if I made myself clear. The wireless hub provides me with internet access, and can also act as a wireless access point. I was thinking that I might be able to use it as a guest wireless point.

If I plug that into A3, I need the lan to have internet access through it.

If I use it as a wireless access point, can I limit it's access to the lan?

Would I be better to turn off the the wireless in it, and connect a separate acess point to A3?

Thanks

John

• 3. Re: Is my lan secure?

yes you are correct.....seperate wireless AP on port A3

I was assuming you had a seperate wireless access point to use for this...

• 4. Re: Is my lan secure?
                jcmiller54

Thanks,

With the WAP on A3, would the SG560 look after DHCP, or should the WAP have DHCP turned on?

If some of my questions don't make a lot of sense, please excuse me. I really don't have a clue how this stuff works, and am always surprised when I actually get it functioning. Speaks volumes for the ease of setup with the SG560.

Regards

John

• 5. Re: Is my lan secure?

you can use either dhcp server....but not both !

usually easier to manage in just one place....so I would do it on the SG560 if it was me.

• 6. Re: Is my lan secure?
                    jcmiller54

Thanks very much!!

If I reply back on Monday, you'll know that I've mucked it up.

Regards

John