Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
1760 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: May 19, 2012 3:45 PM by tld250 RSS
tld250 Newcomer 3 posts since
May 14, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 14, 2012 4:46 PM

Computer will not stay in sleep mode/stand-by

I just purchased McAfee Total Protection, downloaded it and installed it on my desktop computer:

HP Model m8200n

Processor AMD Athlon (tm) 64 x2 Dual Core 6000+ 3.00 GHz

RAM 3.00

System Type 32-bit OS

I use a high speed internet connection and Internet Explorer 8.

MY PROBLEM:

Since I installed McAfee I cannot put my computer in sleep mode / stand-by. It will just come right back on again.

It doesn't matter how many times I try to put it to sleep, it's like a newborn--it just won't stay asleep!

Is there some way to fix this problem? I use sleep mode ALL the time so this is definitely putting a kink in my habits.

Hope someone has some answers. Thanks.

• Hayton Volunteer Moderator 4,616 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    1. May 14, 2012 11:53 PM (in response to tld250)
    Re: Computer will not stay in sleep mode/stand-by

You've got IE8 and you refer to 'Sleep Mode' rather than 'Standby', so I guess you've got Vista?

One thing you can try is to open a DOS Command window (Run-->cmd) - if you can do that in Vista - and enter the following line :

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

That will then show you a list of devices with "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" enabled. You can then disable it for each in Device Manager if you so wish.

The advice from Microsoft for this problem as it applies to XP is probably worth passing on, since it's fairly generic :

If the computer is running outdated device driver files, they may not support power management and they may cause incompatibility problems. This behavior prevents a computer from entering or resuming from hibernation and standby. Drivers are the primary causes of hibernation and standby issues.

And the problem is discussed in an article specifically discussing problems with sleep mode in Vista on HP and Compaq desktop PCs on the HP technical support pages HERE. That article might be useful.

If you still have the problem after trying any fixes in the above article then come back and let us know. It may be that McAfee is checking for updates, or there is something that requests your machine to wake up : I've seen it happen occasionally, but not as often as you seem to say it happens to you. Perhaps there's something in Security Center that can be changed.

See also

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6122_102-502907/hp-pavilion-with-vista-will-not-stay -in-sleep-mode/

I hope I was right about this being Vista. Win7 is something else again :-)

Edit : Moved this out of Community Interface Feedback (which is for board/forum issues) to General Discussion in Home & Home Office

a list of devices with "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" enabled. You can then disable it for each in Device Manager.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 15/05/12 05:53:53 IST

Volunteer Moderator  Leeds, UK
    No PM's please
  • Hayton Volunteer Moderator 4,616 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    3. May 15, 2012 6:17 PM (in response to tld250)
    Re: Computer will not stay in sleep mode/stand-by

The command in the DOS window just queries the system, it doesn't change anything. I ran it myself as a test and it shows just two items (below).

powercfg devicequery 1.JPG

You could also try  "powercfg -lastwake" :

-lastwake

Reports information about the event that woke the computer from the last sleep transition.

and "powercfg -a" :

-availablesleepstates

-a

Reports the sleep states available on the computer. Attempts to report reasons why sleep states are unavailable.

There's a whole lot more information in the Microsoft Technet Library on powercfg for Vista at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748940(v=ws.10)

Message was edited by: Hayton on 16/05/12 00:17:01 IST

Volunteer Moderator  Leeds, UK
    No PM's please

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points