6 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2012 1:52 PM by exbrit

Receiving error message on startup mcagent.exe corrupt file.

The file or directory C:\DOCUME~1\ALLUSE~1\APPLIC~1\McAfee\MSC\McConfig.dat is corrupt and unreadable.  Please run the Chkdsk utility."  When I try to run chkdsk, I get a message that it can't

MCAGENT 4-30-2012 11-34-14 PM.png

Edited by Moderator for clarity on 14/05/12 7:30:15 EDT AM
        • 1. Re: Receiving error message on startup mcagent.exe corrupt file.
          exbrit

I modified your post to put more in the body rather than the header which makes the thread easier to find by the forum search.

The chkdsk utility wont run until you reboot usually.  Go to Start/Run and type in chkdsk /r (with the space) and click OK or hit the Enter key.

You'll get a reject saying volume in use, try again at reboot (or words to that effect) Y/N?, type in Y and click Enter.

Reboot.   The /r flag will tell it to repair any bad sectors.  Warning it can take quite a while to complete.

If it wont do it tell me what the error says.

You can also check the McAfee software for corruption my using a fresh copy of the Virtual Technician from THIS link.

It can sometimes repair a damaged installation.   It may give a 'software not found' error if you obtain McAfee from a 3rd party source, in which case we can try something else.

• 2. Re: Receiving error message on startup mcagent.exe corrupt file.

After rebooting, I get a message "One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency.  You may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue.  Disk checking has been cancelled."

Last night, I uninstalled the McAfee Security suite for the 2nd time.  I thought I would delete it and reinstall.  After uninstalling the app via the 'remove programs' in the control panel, I saw the McAfee folder is still in the Application Data folder in the path specified in the error message that tells me the McConfig.dat file is corrupt.  I'm not able to delete the folder, or rename the McConfig.dat file.

• 3. Re: Receiving error message on startup mcagent.exe corrupt file.
              exbrit

If you ignore a warning that the chkdsk utility must run then that volume in question, C: or whatever it is, remains 'dirty' in Windows eyes.   So you should do that disk check sooner or later otherwise you will continue to get those warnings.

Repeated warnings even after a chkdsk then the disk may be failing and/or some sort of malware may be present.

Run an up to date copy of MCPR cleanup tool from the link in Useful Links at the top of this page (after uninstalling in the normal manner) and that folder should be gone.   Reboot immediately when asked to.

It wouldn't do any harm to run an anti-malware sweep also.  Download, update (important) and run the FREE version of this software:  http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

When it installs do NOT accept the free trial.  That way it will remain free of charge forever.   All that's needed is to update it before running.

Note: Malwarebytes must be uninstalled before installing any McAfee software otherwise the installation will fail.  Feel free to reinstall it afterwards however.

If for some reason MCPR doesn't get rid of that folder I would then call support, it's free (or use the online chat, also free) and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

• 4. Re: Receiving error message on startup mcagent.exe corrupt file.

Thanks so much for your help.  I was able to use the MCPR to delete the files so that I could do a clean install.  That resolved the problem.

• 5. Re: Receiving error message on startup mcagent.exe corrupt file.

Also was able to run chkdsk /r after doing the reinstall.